CarMax, CarMax Strategy Group – Strategy Analyst, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7835
Mon, April 14, 2014
CarMax Strategy Group
CarMax is looking for talented individuals who want to make their mark on a fast growing FORTUNE® 500 company. We’re now hiring at our corporate Home Office in Richmond, Virginia.
What is CarMax?
• A great place to work. We’re proud to be one of FORTUNE®’s "100 Best Companies to Work For." In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have a fun and casual environment with perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center where we hold our annual Analyst Games competition.
• An industry leader with huge growth potential. CarMax has revolutionized the auto industry by making car buying easy. As the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, we have over 120 stores in 60 markets, nearly $11 billion in annual sales, and an overwhelmingly positive consumer response. But the biggest opportunities lie ahead: we hold only a 3% share of the late-model used car market, allowing room for exponential growth.
What does a Strategy Analyst do at CarMax?
• Consult for one company. As an internal consultant for CarMax, you’ll have the freedom to challenge existing practices and the ability to achieve lasting change. Unlike other consulting opportunities, we work normal hours but also enjoy light travel to some of our 110+ store locations across the country.
• Advise senior leadership. Analysts present their own work to company leaders. And they don’t just show the data: they make strategically sound recommendations leading to innovation, change, and visible impact.
• Make lasting impact. You will own an area of the business and find ways to improve it. For example, one undergraduate recruit used data analysis to reformulate our retail pricing strategy, pitched and sold his idea to the senior executive team, and implemented a new system nationwide in his first six months with the company.
• Solve challenging problems. Because CarMax is unique, our challenges rarely have textbook solutions. Analysts are expected to think creatively about complex problems.
• Work on a variety of business areas. CarMax has a highly analytical culture, so analysts in the Home Office develop strategies to solve challenging problems in all parts of the company:
o Corporate Strategy: Which competitive threats pose the largest risk to CarMax? What are the best strategic responses?
o Expansion Planning: Which new markets make the most sense for CarMax to expand into in the next 5 years?
o Marketing: What messages have the most appeal among different consumer segments?
o Web: What new content or features are our customers looking for online?
o In-store Consumer Insights: How can the customer’s in-store experience be enhanced?
o Operations: How do we ensure we make only necessary and value-adding repairs to cars before making them available for sale?
o Inventory & Pricing: How do we decide which 4,000 cars to buy at auction this week? How much should we pay for each one, and in turn, at what price should we sell each unique car?
o Sales: What product knowledge do our sales associates need? How should they convey that knowledge to the customer?
What are some of the unique benefits of the job?
• Work/life balance. We work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours. Our jobs are a healthy part of a great life.
• Great team. The Strategy Group at CarMax consists of over 40 analysts, including many recent graduates from top schools. Academic backgrounds spanning from business, economics, and engineering to English and psychology contribute to our collaborative and fun atmosphere.
• Focus on professional development. In the Strategy Group, your development is as important as your work. Managers spend time helping analysts hone the communication, leadership, and analytical skills it takes to run a business. Most of the leaders in the Strategy Group started as analysts at CarMax right out of school.
• Executive exposure. Analysts are responsible for the success of entire projects from ideation to implementation, and for sharing results with executives.
• Business school. While an MBA is not required to advance at CarMax, our analysts have enjoyed superior acceptance rates at their first choice schools, including Harvard Business School, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, and Kellogg.
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
• Demonstrated top-caliber analytic and problem-solving skills supported by a 4-year degree. Many candidates come from quantitative majors, but we encourage all analytical students from all majors to apply.
• A 4-year degree with a history of achievement indicated by top GPA and/or other recognition such as scholarships, awards, honor societies, etc.
• Passion for business and desire to develop into a strong business leader.
We encourage you to apply through your campus career services. For more information, visit us at carmax.com/strategy.
Must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
Application Deadline 4/14. BTT Gateway Job ID 7835
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- International Opportunities
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
- About Us
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: