Texas Hunger Initiative, Anti-Hunger Opportunity Corps VISTA Member Position, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8266
Fri, April 11, 2014
The Texas Hunger Initiative Austin Office, in partnership with the New York City Coalition Against Hunger, is seeking a full-time VISTA member to:
• Continue to convene community leaders and members – including community and faith-based organizations and local public sector officials – to identify USDA program barriers and develop a comprehensive plan to improve access in their communities. These will include facilitating meetings between State agencies, non-profit and public sector organizations to help them collaborate and participate on Benefits Access Plans. Members will build systems to conduct training and target materials for community and faith-based organizations to enhance awareness of USDA programs.
• Identify and apply for non-federal sources of funds that can be used to improve benefits access assistance.
• Improve access to nutritious food options by enhancing awareness of the availability of utilization of benefits at farmers’ markets; support local, community gardening and agriculture efforts; and provide nutrition education information and opportunities for low-income members.
This is a one year, full-time position beginning June 23rd. You are expected to be available for the needs of your community and project at all times, including days, nights and weekends. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, both full and part-time employment are strictly prohibited - no exceptions – as well as adhere to some political and religious activities. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information available here - http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
You are responsible for finding your own housing. No housing allowance will be provided.
• $946 Monthly Living allowance, paid biweekly
• Segal Education Award ($5,645) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500)
• Health benefits*
• Opportunity to forbear student loans while in service
• Relocation assistance (if applicable)
• Childcare assistance (if applicable)
• Optional life insurance
• One year non-competitive status for federal government positions
• A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
*Health benefits provided by participating in the AmeriCorps VISTA program currently do not meet the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act. If an AmeriCorps VISTA participant does not enroll in a separate program to meet this mandate, they may be assessed a penalty payment.
BTT Gateway Job ID 8266 http://ow.ly/v5bd7
- About Us
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- BTT Gateway
- Career Fairs
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- International Opportunities
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: