- The UT application period opens on August 1st. Instructions can be found here.
- Near the end of the regular Apply Texas application, there will be a question about whether or not you want to apply to an honors program. Check the 'Yes' box. Being in an honors program at UT is not necessarily more difficult. If anything, it gives you more opportunities. You have nothing to lose, so just check the 'Yes' box! After you have submitted your UT application, you will receive an email with a link directing you to the LAH (and any other honors programs you selected) application. Additional information about the application can be found here. Make sure to check your UT Status Page so that all parts of your application are marked as 'complete'.
- LAH encourages all of its applicants to APPLY EARLY. We have a rolling admissions process. The sooner you apply, the sooner you may hear an admissions decision from us.
- LAH has a recommended early submission date of October 15. If an application is submitted by that date, we will try to have a decision made before winter break, but it is not guaranteed. December 1 is the absolute deadline to have your UT and honors application completed.
- You may apply and be admitted to more than one honors program, but depending on the combination, you may have to choose.
- In addition to the admissions application, students are encouraged to apply for UT scholarships. Students who apply to LAH may also be considered for a 40 Acres full-ride scholarship, and the Dedman Distinguished Scholars Scholarship for students in LAH or Plan II.
What We Look For
- LAH conducts a holistic review of all applications we receive. While we do care about your test scores, we are also interested in all of the other parts of your application.
- A commitment to a liberal arts education is central to all students of LAH. We believe that the critical thinking and writing skills afforded to you by a liberal arts education facilitate your success. A desire for this type of education should show in your application.
- As writing is key to our program, we thoroughly read the essays submitted with the UT application. We encourage applicants to submit their best writing.
- LAH looks for students who challenge themselves academically throughout high school by taking AP/IB classes where offered and who maintain a full senior year course load.
- LAH also looks for leadership amongst its applicants. We would prefer to see that you participated in one or two organizations throughout high school and earned leadership positions instead of the "senior blitz" where you took parts in many organizations but were not committed to any of them.
Application Writing Prompt
- Below you will find the writing prompts that LAH will ask for on the Honors Application. Because writing is key to our program, you should prepare your responses carefully and thoroughly.
- Academic Statement for 2015 (please limit your response to no more than 200 words):
We want every Liberal Arts Honors student to aspire to be a Rhodes Scholar, excelling in and out of the classroom with the goal of serving one's family, community, and country. In creating the scholarship Cecil Rhodes sought young people who have the "moral voice of character and instincts to lead," young people who would, "fight one of the world's great fights." Which of the world's great fights will you fight—and why?
- Personal Statement(s): Please write five sentences describing yourself, your life, and your experiences that taken together form an accurate view of who you are. Be creative! Do not list what was provided in the extracurricular activities section or on your résumé. Please number the sentences 1 through 5.
- Dedman Distinguished Scholars
- Student Organizations
- Giving to Liberal Arts Honors
Liberal Arts Honors
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: