The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a national competitive fellowship sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. The Mitchell Scholarship, named to honor the former U.S. Senator’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to public service and community. Twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria: academic excellence, leadership, and a sustained commitment to service and community. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend.
Conditions of Eligibility
- An applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- An applicant must be 18 years of age or older but NOT yet 30 on October 1, 2012.
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship.
- Completed online application.
- One photocopy of the applicant’s birth certificate, passport, or documented evidence of U.S. citizenship (a driver’s license is NOT a citizenship document).
- Five passport-sized photos of unmounted head and shoulders photograph of the applicant with the applicant’s signature on the back of each photo.
- Ten copies of the applicant’s college transcript. The ORIGINAL must be certified by the Registrar or other responsible university official. The remaining nine copies may be photocopies. If an applicant has attended more than one university, all transcripts must be submitted.
The deadline for the Mitchell Scholarship is Friday, September 12, 2014.
To apply for the Mitchell Scholarship, you must receive a university nomination. For more information, please contact Dr. Larry Carver, Director of Liberal Arts Honors and Humanities Programs, (512) 471-3458, CLA 2.104.
UT Austin Mitchell Scholars
Alexandra Chirino, Plan II/ Business Honors
- Dedman Distinguished Scholars
- Student Organizations
- Giving to Liberal Arts Honors
Liberal Arts Honors
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: