Spend Spring Break in Egypt with Hemispheres!
Posted: October 9, 2009
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin will conduct a ten-day tour of Egypt over spring break 2010 designed especially for K-12 educators.
Program dates are Thursday, March 11–Sunday March 21, 2010.
The tour will include visits to Cairo, Egypt’s capital and the largest city in the Arab world, and sites of contemporary and historic importance like the Giza Pyramids, the thousand year old Islamic core of the city, and the recently opened Azhar Park. The tour will also include a 3-night Nile Cruise in Upper Egypt between Aswan and Luxor that will visit such sites as the Aswan High Dam, the award-winning Nubian Museum, the temples of Philae and Kom Ombo, and the Valley of the Kings.
You will be accompanied by representatives from the University of Texas with extensive experience in Egypt, who will offer lectures and commentary on what you’re seeing and doing. Tours and day trips in Cairo will be led by local academics and experts in "Cairology," who will lend their expertise to your experience in this thousand-year-old city. We will also spend time with community organizations in areas off the beaten path in Cairo, affording you the chance to interact with Egyptians in their own environment and have experiences not afforded to the casual tourist.
Space is limited, and preference will be given to those who teach world cultures, history, and geography. The Center for Middle Eastern Studies is a licensed provider of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the State Board of Educator Recertification, and will award professional development hours for the program.
The per-person cost for this program is $2,750. This includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Houston to Cairo and internal flights within Egypt;*
- Local transportation, including airport transfers, busses, and a three-night Nile cruise;
- Double accommodations within Egypt;
- Most meals;
- Tour guide fees and gratuities;
- Site entry fees
The fee does not include:
- Passport and visa fees;
- Independent travel, transportation, sightseeing or meals outside of group activities;
- Spending money for souvenirs, personal purchases, etc.;
- Health insurance, pre-departure check-ups and inoculations;
- Travel from your home city to Houston for departure to Cairo**
* depending on available airfares, travel from other cities may require an additional fee (more information will be available in January 2010).
**We request that all participants plan to travel to Egypt as a group. You may alter your return itinerary to include extra time in Egypt or a stopover at your own expense.
This program is now full for 2010. Check back for future travel opportunities!