MDRC - Technical Research Assistant [3102-43], Application deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7467
Mon, November 11, 2013
MDRC is looking for a Technical Research Assistant to work in our Young Adults and Postsecondary Education policy area. MDRC is a non-profit, non-partisan research organization that uses experimental studies to build knowledge in the social and education policy fields. The Young Adults and Postsecondary Education policy area conducts research to gauge the effectiveness of programs designed to help low-income students succeed in community colleges.
The primary role of a Technical Research Assistant is to process, manage, and analyze a variety of primary quantitative data sets to help other researchers at MDRC determine the impacts of social programs and policies. Key responsibilities include:
• Writing SAS code to create outcome measures, restructure data files, and perform data-cleaning operations.
• Writing technical memos that document data processing and data quality.
• Running statistical models and performing data analysis in SAS to identify the impacts of social programs.
Beyond working with data sets, Technical Research Assistants have the opportunity to be involved with many aspects of projects, including:
• Contributing to analytical sections of research reports.
• Developing survey and data collection instruments.
• Active involvement in various stages of research projects, from proposals to project design to analysis and reporting.
• Possible travel to visit research sites in the field.
MDRC offers an intellectually curious and supportive work environment. Technical Research Assistants work as a part of multidisciplinary teams on current social policy issues in a dynamic and challenging environment, under the guidance and supervision of leading public policy experts. Many Research Assistants continue their careers in public policy research by continuing on to prestigious graduate programs.
On-the-job training is provided; MDRC offers in-house trainings in SAS programming (from basics to advanced topics), Excel, statistics, and other topics regularly. MDRC offers a competitive salary contingent upon experience and a generous benefits package. This position is located in the heart of midtown Manhattan and is convenient to all public transportation.
This is an entry-level position. We are looking for candidates with strong academic backgrounds and work or academic experience with quantitative research. Interest and ability are often as important as direct experience. Specific qualifications include:
• BA or BS degree in statistics, economics, public policy, sociology, psychology, computer science, mathematics, social science, or a related field preferred.
• Exposure to a statistical programming or database programming language such as SAS (preferred), STATA, SPSS, or SQL.
• Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel).
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to work with data.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and programming sample.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, MDRC strongly encourages minorities, women, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply. Legal work authorization required.
To apply see BTT Gateway 7467. Application deadline 11/11/2013.