Refugee Services of Texas, Resettlement Facilitator Internship, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8263
Thu, May 1, 2014
Refugee Services of Texas is currently seeking a Resettlement Facilitator Intern to startimmediately. The Resettlement Facilitator Internship is an unpaid internship. The intern will assist the resettlement facilitator in providing case management services to refugees who have recently arrived to Austin. Activities include helping clients become self-sufficient through strengths-based case management and education. The internship’s caseload is comprised of individuals from Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Burma, Bhutan, Congo, and various other nationalities.
It will be the resettlement intern’s responsibility to work with the resettlement team as a whole in providing effective case management services to recently arrived refugees in order to best facilitate their resettlement process. These services include:
- Submitting inter-agency referrals
- Coordinating medical appointments
- Receiving clients at the airport and transporting clients to their new home
- Educating and orienting clients to Austin and various social services
- Preparing case files
- Enrolling children in school
- Transporting clients to and from appointments
- Maintaining detailed case file documentation
The resettlement facilitator intern will also be responsible for leading an "RST Staff Performance Review & Client Feedback" initiative. RST is constantly looking to improve its case management vision, strategy, and capacity in all aspects of the resettlement experience. The intern will spearhead this initiative to be developed and integrated into the RST structure.
As an intern for RST’s Resettlement team, you will gain a substantial amount of experience in working with displaced persons from around the world and the refugee resettlement system as a whole. It is also a rare opportunity to develop your foreign language skills in a practical and professional setting. Creativity, initiative, and leadership, and resourcefulness are encouraged in our office- ideal for any intern looking to leave their mark and make a difference.
The following qualities and capabilities are desired in the RST resettlement facilitator intern:
- Proficiency in Arabic, French, Spanish, Burmese, Farsi, etc is desired
- Experience with and openness to working with diverse populations and cultures
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Capability of working independently with proven experience in achieving goals
- High energy and ability to operate under pressure
- Car, driver’s license, and valid insurance are required
- A minimum of 20 hours a week is required. Hours can be flexible.
BTT Gateway Job ID 8263