Equal Justice Center, Legal Internship, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8624
Thu, July 10, 2014
Exlpre this position and apply via your BTT Gateway account, Job ID 8624
• Qualifications: Spanish fluency preferred.
• Time commitment: 10-20 hours per week.
• Job Description: The primary duties of the position are to conduct detailed in-person and telephone interviews with the numerous workers who contact EJC seeking legal assistance, and to assist EJC staff attorneys to analyze the workers’ legal needs and available remedies. The intern will also assist in EJC’s community outreach and education campaign by speaking with workers and distributing literature on jobsites and in businesses frequented by low-wage, immigrant workers to inform workers of their wage rights and connect them with EJC staff for legal consultations.
• Learning opportunities: Intake volunteers/interns are not required, but are invited to attend an intensive crash course, alongside UT Law clinic students, to learn the basics of the substantive law and practice methods employed by EJC. The internship will also provide substantial on-the-job training in subjects including workers’ rights, labor and employment law, contract law, litigation practice, and public interest advocacy.
• Academic credit: Academic credit toward your major is likely available.