Admissions Qualifications for the Freshman Honors Program
- Commitment to a liberal arts education. Many of our first-year students have not yet chosen a major, but they know they want an education in the humanities or social sciences as a foundation for leadership in professional life.
- A strong high school preparation, including a full schedule of academic courses through the senior year. We prefer applicants who have continued their foreign language, math, and science studies well beyond the minimum requirements, and who have taken the most rigorous courses available in their schools.
- A demonstrated depth of accomplishment in one or more extra-curricular activities. We prefer applicants who have sustained a commitment over time to their chosen activities, and who have shown leadership in them.
Application to the Freshman Honors Program
- Complete the application for admission to the University ofTexas at Austin by December 1. Indicate your interest in honors program on the application and respond to the LAH essay prompt and provide your expanded resume. All necessary forms and instructions are online.
- Select the College of Liberal Arts as your first or second college choice, along with any liberal arts major or "undeclared." You must be admitted to the College of Liberal Arts at UT Austin in order to join the Freshman Honors Program. If you are interested in dual degrees across colleges, please address this in your LAH application essay.
- You may apply to more than one honors program by this method, and you can be admitted to more than one program before deciding which one to join.
There is no fee to apply to the Liberal Arts Freshman Honors Program.
We do receive many more applications than we have spaces available(currently about 7:1), and many very qualified candidates are turned down because of space restrictions. No more than 135 students will begin the Fall semester as part of the Freshman Honors Program.
Freshmen admitted to LAH are qualified for, though not necessarily guaranteed, honors housing. Prospective students should apply for housing as soon as they have completed the Apply Texas Application.
For information about UT Austin admissions, housing, financial aid, freshman orientation, test scores, and student life, search the Be A Longhorn website.
Admission Statistics and Profile of the 2010 LAH entering class
For the 2010 fall admissions cycle, LAH received and reviewed 850 applications.
LAH sent out *346 admission offers to yield an entering class of 131
*88 applicants also applied and were sent an offer from Plan II.
64 waitlist offers were sent out. 32 students accepted a spot on the waitlist.
Profile of the LAH 2010 entering class
131 students accepted a place in the Liberal Arts Honors Program
Female: 86 65%
Male: 45 35%
Of the 116 students who took the SAT, the average SAT score (Q & V combined) = 1377
121 students are from Texas
10 students are non-resident of Texas
Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington D.C., Taiwan are represented
34 students were national Merit Commended
10 National Merit Semi-Finalists
Our students come from private, public, and magnet schools. High Schools represented this year include:
James W. Martin, Arlington, TX
Anderson High School, Austin High School, James Bowie High School, McNeil High School, Westwood High School, Austin, TX
Vista Ridge High School, Cedar Park, TX
Coppell Senior High, Coppell/Irving, TX
Dripping Springs High School, Dripping Springs, TX
Highland Park, J.J. Pearce High School, Townview Talented and Gifted Magnet, Ursuline Academy, Dallas, TX
Ft Davis High School, Ft. Davis, TX
Arlington Heights High School, Fort Worth, TX
Clear Springs High School, Friendswood, TX
Garland High School, Garland, TX
Colleyville High School, Grapevine, TX
Cy-Fair High School, Klein Forrest High School, Incarnate Word Academy, Second Baptist School, Houston, TX
Cinco Ranch, James E Taylor High School, Katy, TX
Keller High School, Keller, TX
Tivy High School, Kerville, TX
Kingwood High School, Kingwood, TX
La Porte High School, La Porte, TX
Leander High School, Leander, TX
Los Fresnos High School, Los Fresnos, TX
Nikki Rowe High School, McAllen, TX
New Braunfels, New Branufels, TX
Hendrickson High School, Pflugerville, TX
Plano West High School,Plano High, Plano, TX
Monsignor Kelly Catholic High School, Port Arthur, TX
Rockport-Fulton High School, Rockport, TX
Round Rock High School, Stony Point High School, Round Rock, TX
Churchill High School, Judson Senior High, Lady Bird Johnson High School, Ronald Reagan High School, Sandra Day O'Connor High School, San Antonio, TX
Northwest High School, Trophy Club, TX
Stephen F. Austin, Sugar Land, TX
The Woodlands High School, The Woodlands, TX