Visit us at Plan II Honors
Registration required. Go to: My Events
Mondays and Fridays during the fall and spring semesters, Plan II Honors offers a two-hour information session. Visitors should check in by 9:50 a.m. at our Plan II Honors suite in the new Liberal Arts building (CLA 2.102). At the end of the first hour of the session, current Plan II student ambassadors escort prospective students to a Plan II World Literature class from 11:00 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. While students attend the class, parents stay for a second hour of information and Q&A. Plan II session dates noted below.Plan II admits students to fall semesters only. You cannot choose a summer or spring beginning semester in your profile if you wish to register for a Plan II information session. The registration site notes that only two guests are permitted, but it is fine to bring more than two family members to a Plan II session if you wish. Every prospective applicant should register however. No prospective applicant should attend as a guest of another prospective applicant.
Note: If a guided campus tour is not available or does not fit in your schedule, a good alternative to the Undergraduate Admissions Center session and tour, is the self-paced/self-guided campus tour Self-Guided Walking Tour of the UT Campus
Registration required. Go to: My Events
When Plan II Honors sessions are full, they are really full. Unfortunately, we do not have space to accommodate walk-in guests. However visitors traveling from out-of-state, contact firstname.lastname@example.org if a session is not available.
Fall 2014 Plan II Honors Session Dates:
- Monday, September 8 and Friday, September 12
- Monday, September 15 and Friday, September 19
- Monday, September 22 and Friday, September 26
- Monday, September 29 and Friday, October 3
- Monday, October 6 and Friday, October 10
- Monday, October 13 (October 13 is Columbus Day. This date will fill up extra early because of all the school holidays. If the session is full, it's really full. We do not maintain wait lists.)
- and Friday, October 17
- Monday, October 20 and Friday, October 24
- Monday, October 27 and Friday, October 31
- Monday, November 3 and Friday, November 7
- Monday, November 10 and Friday, November 14
- Monday, November 17 and Friday, November 21
- Monday, November 24
- (No session on Friday, November 28. The University is closed on tht day.)
Spring 2015 Plan II Honors Session Dates:
- We do not keep waiting lists for full sessions.
- UT Austin classes end Friday, May 1. No Plan II Honors information sessions or class visits are offered during the last week of classes.
Registration required. Please visit Meet Us
Our 10:00 to noon Plan II Honors session covers:
11:00--11:50 a.m. Class visit for prospective students. While students visit the class, parents stay for the second hour of the information session. We will answer all questions from students or parents.
- Evaluation criteria
- What is Plan II? and Plan II core curriculum
- Double-major & dual-degree info
- Application process
- Plan II student organizations & community
- Study abroad
- Civic engagement and internships
- Test credits
With advance notice, we can sometimes make arrangments for a prospective students to visit another class in addition to a World Lit class, but other class visits often conflict with campus tours, other college or major information sessions or dorm tours which are an important part of the UT visit. Plan II class visits are restricted to prospective students--no family members or friends may tag along. Most of these are very small seminar-sized classes; we do not wish to disturb the class dynamic with too many visitors.
Plan II Honors discourages summer, weekend, or holiday visits as the only visit a prospective student makes to campus if the future student is interested in Plan II Honors.
- Make your plans early. Many sessions fill up several weeks in advance.
- We're sorry, but Plan II Honors cannot offer individual interviews or schedule individual information sessions on days when regular sessions are not offered.
- Sessions will be held on most Mondays and Fridays.
Printable Campus Tours:
Use the University's Self-Guided Walking Tour of the UT Campus (PDF 1.8MB) to learn about campus on your own and at your own pace. This makes your day more flexible and allows attendance at other college or program information sessions, tours of dorm(s) and visits to the wonderful Blanton Art Museum, the world-renown Humanities Research Center or the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum.
See also: The Diversity Tour (PDF 2.5MB) to learn about spots on campus that serve as a reminder of the campus’s dedication to academic and cultural diversity.
Plan II Honors discourages visits to campus during the summer or over Spring Break, when future students can't attend a Plan II class, meet Plan II Honors majors, meet with faculty or see campus in any way that will be helpful for a student considering college choices. This is a really active, busy campus—during the long semesters. In the summer there are a lot of relatively empty buildings on a hot and quiet campus. A summer visit simply does not give a prospective student good information. And that's true at the vast majority of college campuses nation-wide. (Think about bringing prospective students to your high school for a visit in July…. What would they see?) Only a visit during a long semester can really give a prospective applicant the full picture of what it might be like to be a student at UT Austin. We cannot meet individually with drop-ins during the summer, although the information session brochure will be available and may be downloaded.
Browse the Plan II website:
We encourage prospective students to visit the University of Texas campus and the Plan II Honors Program office. However, before visiting, we strongly urge prospective applicants to thoroughly browse this website. Our website contains more information than we could ever cram into a one, two-, or even three-hour information session.
Another really good source of information are our Plan II students themselves. We have a Plan II web page that connects you to current students: Contact a Current Plan II Student You will find several dozen students willing to answer questions about their experiences at UT Austin, in Plan II Honors, combining other majors, degrees and honors programs with Plan II, their experiences in the residence halls and honors halls, and their experiences in Plan II Honors and UT Austin student organizations, and much more.
Each student's double-major and/or dual-degree information (including pre-med and pre-law) is noted. Feel free to contact as many email ambassadors as you wish. Ask them questions about their experience, such as:
- What do you like (or NOT like)
- about Plan II?
- about Plan II students?
- about UT?
- What Plan II organizations are you involved in?
- What research opportunities have you discovered?
- What kind of resources and services do you have access to?
- What kind of advising assistance to you receive?
- Have you had an internship?
- Have you studied abroad yet?
- Are you active in the Plan II Students' Association or other student orgs on campus?
- How much contact do you have with your Plan II professors outside the classroom?
- What do you like or dislike about the students? the faculty? the campus? living in Austin?
- What do you like about combining Plan II and another major/degree/honors program?
- How did you manage your time in a dual-degree program?
- Are you still able to participate in other activities?
Please note: These volunteers are available to share their personal experiences as Plan II Honors majors at the University of Texas at Austin. They cannot assist future students in the application process or with any kind of registration advising. We want to be very sure every Plan II student gets solid information from our trained, professional admissions and advising staff.