Visit us at Plan II Honors
Mondays and Fridays during the fall and spring semesters, Plan II Honors offers a two-hour information session. Visitors should check in by 9:50 a.m. at our Plan II Honors suite in the new Liberal Arts building (CLA 2.102). At the end of the first hour of the session, current Plan II student ambassadors escort prospective students to a Plan II World Literature class from 11:00 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. While students attend the class, parents stay for a second hour of information and Q&A. Session dates noted below.Plan II admits freshman applicants to fall semesters only. You cannot choose a summer or spring beginning semester and register for a Plan II session. The site notes that only two guests are permitted, but it is fine to bring more than two family members if you wish. Every prospective applicant should register however. No prospective applicant should attend as a guest.
Registration required. Please visit Meet Us
Note: A good alternative if a guided campus tour is not available or does not fit in your schedule is the self-paced/self-guided campus tour Self-Guided Walking Tour of the UT Campus (PDF 1.8MB)
Fall 2013 Plan II Honors Session Dates:
- Monday, September 9 and Friday, September 13
- Monday, September 16 and Friday, September 20
- Monday, September 23 and Friday,September 27
- Monday, September 30 and Friday, October 4
- Monday, October 7 and Friday, October 11
- Monday, October 14 and Friday, October 18
All prospective student events, including the Plan II session, will fill up very early on Monday, Oct 14 due to the Columbus Day holiday. Make plans and register as early as possible.
- Monday, October 21 and Friday, October 25
- Monday, October 28 and Friday, November 1
- Monday, November 4 and Friday, November 8
- Monday, November 11 and Friday, November 15
- Monday, November 25 (Campus offices are closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29 for Thanksgiving holidays. No classes or information sessions are held.)
- UT Austin classes end Friday, December 6. No Plan II Honors information sessions or class visits are offered during the last week of classes.
- We do not keep waiting lists for full sessions.
Spring 2014 Plan II Honors Session Dates:
- Monday, February 3, 2014 and Friday, February 7
- Monday, February 10 and Friday, February 14
- Monday, February 17 and Friday, February 21
- Monday, February 24 and Friday, February 28
- Monday, March 3 and Friday, March
- No Plan II Honors information sessions will be held the week of UT Austin Spring Break, March 10 through March 14, 2014
- Monday, March 18 (No session will be offered on Friday, March 22. Special invitation only scholarship session.)
- Monday, March 24 (No session will be offered on Friday, March 28. Special invitation only scholarship session.)
- Monday, March 31 and Friday, April 4
- Monday, April 7 and Friday, April 11
- Monday, April 14 and Friday, April 18
- Monday, April 21 and Friday, April 25
- UT Austin classes end Friday, May 2. No Plan II Honors information sessions or class visits are offered during the last week of classes.
Registration required. Please visit Meet Us
Our Plan II Honors information session agenda includes:
- What is Plan II? Who should apply? Why Plan II?
- Core Curriculum
- Double-Majors & Dual-Degrees
- Evaluation Criteria & Application
11:00--11:50 a.m. Class visit for prospective students and continuation of Info Session for parents that covers:
- Study Abroad
- Test Credits (AP, SAT II, IB)
- How to Apply & Critical Deadlines
- What do you with a Plan II major?
- Plan II Student Organizations & Community
While students visit the class, parents are encouraged to stay for the second hour of the information session. We will answer all questions from students or parents.
With advance notice, we can sometimes make arrangments for a prospective students to visit another class in addition to a World Lit class, but other class visits often conflict with campus tours, other college or major information sessions or dorm tours which are an important part of the UT visit. Plan II class visits are restricted to prospective students--no family members or friends may tag along. Most of these are very small seminar-sized classes; we do not wish to disturb the class dynamic with too many visitors.
Plan II Honors discourages summer, weekend, or holiday visits as the only visit a prospective student makes to campus if he or she is interested in Plan II Honors.
- Make your plans early. Many sessions fill up several weeks in advance.
- Plan II does not offer individual interviews or schedule individual information sessions on days when regular sessions are not offered.
- Sessions will be held on most Mondays and Fridays, and occassional Wednesdays.
- We're sorry, but Plan II Honors cannot offer individual interviews or schedule individual information sessions on days when regular sessions are not offered.
Printable Campus Tours:
Use The University's Self-Guided Walking Tour of the UT Campus (PDF 1.8MB) to learn about campus on your own and at your own pace. This makes your day more flexible and allows attendance at other college or program information sessions, tours of dorm(s) and visits to the wonderful Blanton Art Museum, the world-renown Humanities Research Center or the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum.
See also: The Diversity Tour (PDF 2.5MB) to learn about spots on campus that serve as a reminder of the campus’s dedication to academic and cultural diversity.
We discourage visits to campus during the summer. During the summer, a prospective applicant can't attend a Plan II class, meet Plan II Honors majors, meet with faculty or see campus in any way that will be helpful for a student considering college choices. This is a really active happening' campus—during the long semesters. In the summer, it's a relative ghost town compared to the long semesters, with empty buildings on a hot and quiet campus. A summer visit simply does not give a prospective student good information. And that's true at the vast majority of college campuses nation-wide. (Think about bringing prospective students to your high school for a visit in July….) Only a visit during a long semester can really give a prospective applicant the full picture of what it might be like to be a student at UT Austin. We will not meet individually with drop-ins during the summer, although the information session brochure will be available. That brochure may also be downloaded (see link to the right).
Browse the Plan II website:
We encourage prospective students to visit the University of Texas campus and the Plan II Honors Program office. However, before visiting, we strongly urge prospective applicants to thoroughly browse this website. Our website contains more information than we could ever cram into a one, two-, or even three-hour information session.