Information and Links for Plan II First Year Students
Plan II First-Years' Materials:
- 2012 Orientation Advising Booklet This packet contains course descriptions, first-year advising information and a whole lot more! A printed copy will be included in the mailing entering first-year students will receive via USPS about June 4, 2012.
- 2012 Student Handbook A printed copy will be included in the materials you receive at the Plan II orientation session (8:30 to 10:30 am on Day One of Orientation.)
- 2012 Parent Handbook A printed copy will be included in the mailing entering first-year students will receive via USPS about June 4, 2012.
Plan II Freshman Convocation 2012, 7:00 pm Thursday, September 6, 2012
WEL 1.308 (confirmed room) Welch Hall is across Inner Campus Drive from Will C. Hogg Bldg (see http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/wel.html)
Convocation is a required event for all Plan II Honors First Year students. (The only accepted excuses for missing Convocation are scheduled UT classes and Texas Exes Scholarship Award dinners.)
The Plan II director, Professor Michael Stoff, special guest speakers and Plan II Students Association co-presidents address the students and welcome everyone to Plan II Honors. Representatives from all the Plan II Honors student organizations (from the Broccoli Project drama group to the Undecided news blog) will be there to help you get involved and busy.
The Convocation will begin at 7:00 pm in WEL 1.308. Most World Literature cohorts will have dinner together prior to Convocation so count that in your time commitment for the eveing.
Plan II Freshman Getaway 2012 Friday, September 7, 2012
Entering first-year students, Plan II peer advisers P2SA officers and Plan II staff travel off campus for a killer BBQ dinner (with veggie options),swimming, water-balloon battle, piñata, a Shakespeare performance, volleyball and other games. Shady Springs has big beautiful oaks and a lush lawn. They have a spring on the property so even when we are in "extreme" drought conditions, the grass is soft and green. There's a big "party barn," so even if it's rainy, there's plenty of room for fun.
It's quite a bargain at $60. $30 of the charge is for the Getaway (transportation, food, beverages, Shakespeare and fun); the other $30 pays for a LIFETIME membership in the Plan II Students' Association (P2SA).
Mail in the form(s) and check to the Plan II Honors office or bring the three forms and a check for $60 (or cash) with you to Orientation:Plan II Honors Attn: Getaway The University of Texas at Austin
120 Inner Campus Dr, STOP G3600 Austin, TX 78712-1250
Cancellations and refunds: Cancel by Friday, August 31. No refunds after this date.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Every Getaway participant must submit THREE FORMS.
And, if you are/will be 18 years of age on Sept. 7th, 2012 (date of Getaway):
OR, if you are NOT 18 years old as of September 7, 2012 (date of Getaway):
Transportation: Buses will leave at 4:10 pm from Littlefield Fountain (21st Street, at the "bottom of the Six-Pack.") The ride takes about 20 minutes. Buses will return you to Littlefield Fountain on campus at around 9 pm.
- Please bring: Comfortable, casual clothes. Shoes or sandals. Bathing suit & towel. Bug spray. Your game face: life happens.
- Don’t bring: Alcoholic beverages. Other illicit substances. Money or valuables (there are no lockers).
- Provided: Buffet dinner featuring Texas-style barbecue and vegetarian options, iced tea, lemonade and water.
- Be ready for: FUN!
Forms are also available at the Plan II front desk, just stop on by to fill them out before the 9th (bring your insurance card with you).
Before you arrive for orientation:
You must complete the required on-line modules: https://www.utexas.edu/student/dos/orientation/preorientreqs.php
- Items #1 and #2 are crucial and helpful information for every entering first-year student. Review thoroughly.
- Item #3 (First-year Interest Groups-FIGs) does NOT pertain to Plan II students. But you must read that module and check it off to satisfy requirements. As a Plan II major, you will NOT be in a FIG. Your Plan II World Literature class, your Plan II Signature class and your Plan II Logic or Modes of Reasoning class will constitute your FIG experience. Plan II is the FIG Tree. Many moons ago, FIGs were created to give non-Plan II students a "similar to Plan II first-year experience."
- Item #4 on Signature courses also does NOT pertain to Plan II students. Every Plan II student will take TC 302 which is a PLAN II SIGNATURE class. Our Plan II Signature credit (TC 302) will fulfill the University's Signature course requirement. Plan II Signatures are ALL small-class format (always fewer than 20 students) and are restricted, available ONLY to Plan II students. Similar to the FIGS, the University's Signature course requirement was modeled on the Plan II freshman seminar experience.
- Read the information in #5, How to Change Colleges, but DO NOT take any action. Do not pass go. Come straight to Plan II. We can help you with this. If you are interested in getting into the Cockrell School of Engineering, the College of Communication or the McCombs School of Business, you will attend an information session on how to transfer on DAY THREE.
- Read, review, follow, internalize and live items #6-9. Cogitate.
Be sure to complete these modules and check the boxes on this web page so you do not hinder your fall registration.
Before you arrive, be sure to have read through the student packet you received from Plan II Honors (via US mail). Identify your top 4-5 professor/class choices for World Lit AND for the Signature Courses. Note your choices on your packet and/or make a list. Be sure to bring your choices with you. You will need it for the course lottery.
BRING THE COURSE DESCRIPTION PACKET WITH YOU. You will need it for the course lottery.
When you arrive at Orientation:
Orientation Check-In at Jester Center begins at 7:30 am. We recommend that you arrive before as early as you can, so you can check in as early as possible, drop your stuff off in your room, kiss the parents bye and get to the Plan II session BEFORE 8:30! Check-in will be crowded and busy. If you arrive at 8:15 you WILL be late to Plan II. (bad idea!) Please plan wisely if you are traveling on Wednesday morning.
Orientation check-out is no later than 12:30 p.m. on the final day (Friday). You will be registered for the fall semester before you leave Orientation.
For Plan II, the most important thing to remember is to come straight to the Plan II office (WCH 4.104) after Orientation Check-in. We will have breakfast tacos and welcome from the director, followed by the Plan II meeting. This meeting is CRITICAL. This is where you get your Plan II required core courses. Nothing else at Orientation takes precedence over this meeting. If you need gluten-free or vegan options for breakfast, please let me know ASAP.
If you have not been to the Plan II office yet, our building is next-door to The Tower, on the east side—with is the side that I-35 and the football stadium on are. It's about a 10 minute walk from Jester.
First-Year Students' To Do items:
Submit your proof of meningitis, DO SO ASAP. You will not be able to register at orientation if you have not. Really important step!
Send in your photo for the Plan II Honors Freshman FaceBook.(This is an internal document that is not connected to the FaceBook on the web.....Plan II was doing this looooong before FB was around.)
- Send your 2.25 x 2.5” (wallet-sized) photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, in JPEG format.
- Best to send a high resolution photo. We can size it down if necessary.
- Name the photo file with YOUR lastname_firstname.jpg. This doesn’t have to be a formal photo or a studio shot. We just need a picture of YOU...preferably a head-shot. We want to see your face.
Join the Plan II Class of 2016 FaceBook group.Request membership at https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2classof2016/. It's a closed "student group/academic group" for entering first-year Plan II students.
There's also a regular (using the term loosely) Plan II Students FaceBook group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/5873662185/ Join today!
Read about the new UTMail Google email accounts.Sign up at UTMail. Show the world you're a Longhorn with your email@example.com email address!
Send an email to update your new email address when you claim your UT/Google address (or if you change your email, or permanent address) at any time. This is an account that you can keep AFTER graduation! It's a Google account.
2012 Roger Worthington Essay Contest.Plan II first-year students are encouraged to participate. See previous years' Worthington information. The 2012 Worthington Essay prompt will be posted by June 15, 2012.
Fall 2012 Freshman Voltaire's Coffees.
A list of the fall 2012 freshman VCs is available now and is included in the packet you'll receive via USPS about June 5. Voltaire's Coffees.
This list will be updated periodically to include more book infomation, faculty biographies and as locations and dates of the VCs are scheduled. Coffees are held throughout the first two weeks of classes, beginning when dorms open for the fall semester. Registration will take place via a Google form.
A few days before registration, you will get an e-mail from Plan II Honors with the link to the Form, which will be opened to responses on the date of registration, and you will sign up for at least your top 3 choices that way. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, so it's in your interest to do so promptly! All students should try to register by August 2, but we will accommodate as many people as possible as long as there is still space.
Professor Bump, Kendall Masada, Rachel Solomon, Tori Maidenberg, Ian Salzer, Tatum Jolink, Tiffany Work, Kelly Sackley, Janie Holstine, Carson Modrall, Brooks Naylor, Amy Lattanzi, Eric Pryzant, Bevin Baughn, Grace Biggs, Andrew Gulde, Kian Azimpoor, and Paige Harriman. Thanks, gang!
Professor Brian Doherty's Spring 2012 World Literature class.