Information and Links for Plan II First Year Students
Plan II First-Years' Materials:
- 2014 Orientation Advising Booklet This packet contains Plan II Honors course descriptions. A printed copy will be included in the mailing entering first-year students will receive via USPS. Bring your hard copy with you to Orientation and to the Day One Plan II Honors meeting at 8:30 am.
- 2014 Fall Registration Guide This packet contains first-year advising information, registration information, degree checklists and guides, test credit information and a whole lot more.
- 2014 Plan II Student Handbook Information on all things Plan II, College of Liberal Arts and UT: academic policies and procedures; majors, minors and certificates; Plan II events and organizations; Plan II internships, Study Abroad, etc.
- 2014 Parents' Handbook A printed copy will be included in the mailing entering first-year students will receive via USPS.
- 2014 Family Orientation Schedule
BRING all the packets, especiall the course description packet, with you to Orientation. You will need them for the course lottery and advising.
When you arrive at Orientation:
Orientation Check-In at Jester Center begins at 7:30 am. We recommend that you arrive before as early as you can, so you can check in as early as possible, drop your stuff off in your room, kiss the parents bye and get to the Plan II session BEFORE 8:30! Check-in will be crowded and busy. If you arrive at 8:15 you WILL be late to Plan II. (bad idea!) Please plan wisely if you are traveling on Wednesday morning (June 5) or Monday mornings (other June and July sessions).
Orientation check-out is no later than 12:30 p.m. on the final day (Friday for the June 5-7 session and Wednesday for the other June and July sessions). You will be registered for the fall semester before you leave Orientation.
For Plan II, the most important thing to remember is to come straight to the Plan II office (CLA 2.102) after Orientation Check-in. We will have breakfast tacos and welcome from the director, followed by the Plan II meeting. This meeting is CRITICAL. This is where you get your Plan II required core courses. Nothing else at Orientation takes precedence over this meeting. Gluten-free and vegetarian options will be available for breakfast.
If you have not been to the Plan II office yet, our building is close to Jester Residence Hall, just east of Gregory Gym. See maps: CLA, http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/cla.html; Jester, http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/jes.html, Gregory (just across 21st Street from Jester).
First-Year Students' To Do items:
Submit your proof of meningitis, DO SO ASAP. You will not be able to register at orientation if you have not. Really important step!
Things you must do BEFORE you arrive at Orientation:
- You must complete the required on-line modules or you will not be allowed to check in at Orientation: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/adm/suppforms/pom/ It's good information. Really. Be sure to complete these modules and check the boxes on this web page so you do not hinder your fall registration.
- Submit proof of required Meningococcal Vaccine. This is required before you can register for the fall semester: http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/nss/sumorient_fresh.php#vaccine
- BRING THE Plan II Honors Orientation Packet, the Registration Guide and the Plan II Student Handbook with you to Orientation. You will need them for the course lottery and advising. The Plan II mailing should arrive, via US Mail, at your home address, before you come to Orientation. Be sure to read the course descriptions for the World Literature (E 603A and E 603B) and the Plan II Freshman Signature classes (TC 302).
- UT MOBILE WEB: On your Web-capable mobile device — such as an Android, iPhone, smartphone or PDA — open your Web browser and go to m.utexas.edu. You will need a Web/data plan from your carrier or a Wi-Fi connection. You can also preview the smartphone version of the site from your desktop or laptop. Great maps and information for you AND FOR YOUR PARENTS.
When you arrive at Orientation Check-In:
- Orientation Check-In at Jester Center (http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/jcd.html) begins at 7:30 am. We recommend that you arrive before AS EARLY AS YOU CAN, so you can check in as early as possible, drop your stuff off in your room, kiss the 'rents bye and get to the Plan II session BEFORE 8:30! Check-in will be crowded and busy. Your parents will NOT go through check-in with you.
- If the lines are really long (they will be), be sure to let someone know that you are Plan II and have a required (super important)departmental meeting at 8:30. (They know.) They are likely to jump you to the front of the line. If you arrive at Orientation Check-in at 8:15 you WILL be late to Plan II. (bad idea!) Please plan wisely if you are traveling to Austin on Wednesday morning.
- See: Where to go & what to do: http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/nss/downloads/WhereToGoSummerOFRS2013.pdf
- ORIENTATION SCHEDULE: http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/nss/downloads/2013SummerOFRSSchedule.pdf
- Orientation check-out is no later than 12:30 p.m. on the final day (Friday). You will be registered for the fall semester before you leave Orientation.
When you arrive at Plan II Honors, DAY ONE:
- For Plan II, the most important thing to remember is to come straight to the Plan II office for the 8:30 Plan II orientation session at CLA 2.102, (see map: http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/cla.html) directly after Orientation Check-in.
- We will have breakfast tacos and welcome from the director, followed by the Plan II meeting. Gluten-free and vegetarian options will be available for breakfast.
- This meeting is CRITICAL. This is where you get your Plan II required core courses. Nothing else at Orientation takes precedence over this meeting. (If you have not been to the Plan II office yet, our building is next-door to the Student Activities Center, on the east side—which is the side that I-35 and the football stadium on are. It's about a 5 minute walk from Jester, pass Gregory Gym and walk through or around the Student Activities building. CLA is on the East Mall. Plan II is on the second floor.)
- Remember: Bring the Orientation Packet, the Registration Guide and the Plan II Student Handbook with you to Orientation and the Plan II Honors meeting on DAY ONE at 8:30 am.
- Later in the day on DAY ONE, you'll attend a college meeting. College meetings are scheduled between 1:00 and 5:00 pm, depending on the college. Your check-in packet will have your schedule.
- If you are combining another degree with Plan II (business, engineering, etc.), you'll attend the meeting at your other college: the McCombs School of Business, the Cockrell School of Engineering, the College of Natural Sciences, the College of Communication, the School of Architecture, the School of Social Work, the College of Fine Arts or the College of Education.
- All College of Liberal Arts (CoLA) majors (whether you are "Purely Plan II," pursuing only Plan II Honors, with no other major combination or combining Plan II with another CoLA major, such as history) should attend the College of Liberal Arts meeting at this time.
- You will have individual advising appointments with with a professional adviser at Plan II Honors and with an Orientation Adviser. You will also be advised in your other college or major, whether it's engineering or social work. These advising appointments will be set for the afternoon of DAY ONE and throughout DAY TWO.
Family Orientation Note:
- The Day One 8:30 am Plan II orientation meeting is for YOU, NOT for parents.
- Parents will NOT attend college meetings, departmental meetings, wing meetings or advising meetings with students.
- Parents will attend OTHER events throughout the day (on Day ONE), if they've registered for the Family Orientation.
- The Plan II acting director, Professor Alexandra Wettlaufer, your advisers, Mary Dillman and Melissa Ossian, and I will meet with Plan II parents at 11:00 am on DAY ONE, in the Student Activities Center (SAC), room 2.302, AFTER we've completed the main Plan II session with you all.
- See: 2014 Family Orientation Schedule
IMPORTANT HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS:
Send your photo for the Freshman Facebook today (if you have not already done so). Please! Hurry.
- The photo should be a .jpeg file. It should be a photo of only you, not a group shot. Do not send a photo where ou have cropped out a lot of scenery or other people from around you and the photo of you is really skinny. We won't be able to see your face once it's sized appropriately. (And since we want to use this to get to know you, being able to see your face is the point!)
- Please be sure to NAME your photo with your FULL NAME, last name first: example: lastname_firstname.jpg.
- Send the photo to: email@example.com.
- Best to send a high resolution photo. I can size it down if necessary.
2. Establish your UT e-mail account.
- The University considers email an official form of communication and the UT/Google account the best kind of account to use. So, it's best to use it as your official e-mail address for all university business.
- This is an account that you can keep AFTER graduation! It's a Google account.
- Show the world you're a Longhorn with your firstname.lastname@example.org email address! http://utmail.utexas.edu/
- Be sure to update Plan II (email@example.com) if you claim your UT/Google address (or if you change your email, or permanent address) at any time.
- You do not have to change to a UT account if you already use gmail, yahoo or another service you like, although we do recommend the utexas accounts.
- If you have an email associated with your high school however, be sure to claim another email, and notify me (firstname.lastname@example.org) ASAP.
3. Don't worry about your final transcript now. It must be submitted to UT Austin Office of Admissions before you complete the fall semester, but it will not interfere with your registration for the fall semester. Just don't forget it later! Do NOT send a final transcript to Plan II Honors.
4. Join the Plan II Class of 2018 FaceBook group. You know you want to...
- Request membership at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1453594598212342/. It's a closed "student group/academic group" for entering first-year Plan II students. Your future Plan II compatriots are already getting together in Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas—via the Class of 2017 Facebook Group. Don't be left out! Folks are also organizing dinner get-togethers the night before Orientation sessions. Get to know the people who will be your best friends for the next few years, and often for life.
- There's also a regular (using the term loosely) Plan II students' FaceBook group. Join today at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1453594598212342/
2014 Roger Worthington Essay Contest.
Plan II first-year students are encouraged to participate. See 2014 Worthington information. The 2014 Worthington Essay prompt has been posted and will be due in early October, 2014.
A list of the fall 2014 freshman VCs is now available. This list will be updated periodically to include more book infomation, faculty biographies and as locations and dates of the VCs are scheduled. Coffees are held throughout the first two weeks of classes, beginning when dorms open for the fall semester. Registration will take place via a Google form.
A few days before registration, you will get an e-mail from Plan II Honors with the link to the Form, which will be opened to responses on the date of registration, and you will sign up for at least your top 3 choices that way. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, so it's in your interest to do so promptly! All students should try to register by August 2, but we will accommodate as many people as possible as long as there is still space.
Professor Bump, Kendall Masada, Rachel Solomon, Tori Maidenberg, Ian Salzer, Tatum Jolink, Tiffany Work, Kelly Sackley, Janie Holstine, Carson Modrall, Brooks Naylor, Amy Lattanzi, Eric Pryzant, Bevin Baughn, Grace Biggs, Andrew Gulde, Kian Azimpoor, and Paige Harriman. Thanks, gang!
Plan II Freshman Convocation 2014 :: 7:00 pm :: Thursday, September 4, 2014
Convocation is a required event for all Plan II Honors First Year students. (The only accepted excuses for missing Convocation are scheduled UT classes and Texas Exes Scholarship Award dinners.)
The Plan II director, Professor Michael Stoff, special guest speakers and Plan II Students Association co-presidents address the students and welcome everyone to Plan II Honors. Representatives from all the Plan II Honors student organizations (from the Broccoli Project drama group to the Undecided news blog) will be there to help you get involved and busy.
The Convocation will begin at 7:00 pm. Most World Literature cohorts will have dinner together prior to Convocation (about 5:30 pm) so count that in your time commitment for the evening.
Plan II Freshman Getaway 2014 :: Friday, September 5, 2014
Entering first-year students, Plan II peer advisers P2SA officers and Plan II staff travel off campus for a killer BBQ dinner (with veggie options),swimming, water-balloon battle, piñata, a Shakespeare performance, volleyball and other games. Shady Springs has big beautiful oaks and a lush lawn. They have a spring on the property so even when we are in "extreme" drought conditions, the grass is soft and green. There's a big "party barn," so even if it's rainy, there's plenty of room for fun.
It's quite a bargain at $60. $30 of the charge is for the Getaway (transportation, food, beverages, Shakespeare and fun); the other $30 pays for a LIFETIME membership in the Plan II Students' Association (P2SA).
Mail in the form(s) and check to the Plan II Honors office or bring the three forms and a check for $60 (or cash) with you to Orientation:
Plan II Honors
The University of Texas at Austin
305 East 23rd Street, CLA 2.102 G3600
Austin, TX 78712-1250
Cancellations and refunds: Cancel by Friday, August 30. No refunds after this date.
- Please bring: Comfortable, casual clothes. Shoes or sandals. Bathing suit & towel. Bug spray. Your game face: life happens.
- Don’t bring: Alcoholic beverages. Other illicit substances. Money or valuables (there are no lockers).
- Provided: Buffet dinner featuring Texas-style barbecue and vegetarian options, iced tea, lemonade and water.
- Be ready for: FUN!
Forms are also available at the Plan II front desk, just stop on by to fill them out before the 6th (bring your insurance card with you).
Professor Brian Doherty's Spring 2012 World Literature class.