Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
plan2 masthead
Michael Stoff, Director 305 East 23rd St, CLA 2.102, (G3600) Austin, TX 78712-1250 • 512-471-1442

Spring 2005

T C 357 • Socialist Theory After the Downfall of Communism—W

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
41160 W
3:30 PM-6:30 PM
BUR 436A
BRAYBROOKE

Course Description

After reading and discussing the main body of Marx's (and Engels') theories of capitalism and of the revolution in which they expected it to end, the seminar will consider the transformation of those theories by Trotsky and Lenin into the Bolshevik theory of world revolution; and then the outcome of the Bolshevik revolution when that theory failed. Finally, a major part of the course will be devoted to some readings in contemporary attempts to resuscitate socialist theory. The work of David Schweigart will figure prominently in these readings.

About the Professor David Braybrooke, who holds the Centennial Commission Chair in the Liberal Arts, is both a Professor of Government and a Professor of Philosophy. He is a U.S. citizen by birth and a Canadian citizen by naturalization, and has spent most of his career in the latter. His central concern is the way ethics works out in the choice of social politics, and this concern predominates in one of his most recent books, Meeting Needs. Another book, Philosophy of Social Science, answers to a secondary interest, as does a body of writings on Marxism, and a book, Logic on the Track of Social Change, by a research team that he led in Canada. His newest book, Natural Law Modernized, was published in October 2001. He is working on several more books, including a treatise on absurdity in politics.

Grading Policy

This course contains a substantial writing component. There will be two term-papers, written on a double-deadline system—first in draft, then in a revised version. Together they will count for 75% of the grade for the course. A mandatory hour exam at mid-term or a voluntary hour exam at the end, taken as a second try, will count for the other 25%, allowing for some adjustments to take into account participation.

Texts

TBA

back

bottom border