Plan II/Lozano Long Latin American Studies Institute Internship for Spring, 2011 (Deadline Changed to Jan 26)
Application Deadline change to January 26, 2011 :: Great opportunity for those students interested pursuing graduate degrees or working in Latin American affairs; international public policy, international education as well as in any Social Sciences discipline.
Posted: November 9, 2010
Sid Richardson Hall
Deadline for applications for Spring, 2011 intership: January 26, 2011
TO APPLY: Please submit all application materials electronically to Paloma Diaz, Senior Program Coordinator, LLILAS. Application package should include a resume indicating language and computer skills, and a cover letter stating why you are interested in this position. Please make sure that you demonstrate basic knowledge of our programs in your cover letter (visit the LLILAS website) a letter of recommendation from a UT faculty member or someone who knows the candidate's professional qualification pertinent to this internship. Also include information about your Spring schedule and available hours.
Note: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours to eligible for the internship. The position is available for the Spring of 2011.
For more information on the specific programs/offices and internship opportunites at LLILAS visit: Internships at LLILAS
UT alums Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long
The Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS) is a multidisciplinary institute that integrates several centers and programs devoted to promote interest in the region. LLILAS is the oldest Latin American studies program in the United States and one of the best worldwide. This is a very vibrant and fast paced environment where we have the opportunity to interact with foreign students, Latin American visiting professors, government officials, politicians and private sector representatives.
Plan II offers an internship program at the the Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies. The internship would be a great opportunity for those students interested pursuing graduate degrees or working in Latin American affairs; international public policy, international education as well as in any Social Sciences discipline. The position is not benefits-eligible, but there is a stipend of $1500 per semester, for which the intern is expected to put in a 10-hour work week. Interns will have the opportunity to get familiar with the work of multiple offices/programs within LLILAS as well as a broad range of international initiatives organized by our Institute. Depending on specific background or skills, some interns may be assigned to particular LLILAS offices/programs.
Note: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours to eligible for the internship. internship positions are awarded for fall and may be extended through the spring semester each year pending performance evaluation in the fall.
Interns may be asked to work in any and all of the following areas:
* Assisting in outreach efforts
* Helping to organize public events such as conferences lectures, receptions (identifying topics or speakers, providing logistic support, writing event memoirs, etc )
* Coordinating the activities of our international visitors (putting together information packages about UT, providing information about UT offices etc)
* Coordinating with foreign universities, government offices and NGOS
* Designing Flyers and posters
* Creating and managing databases
* Carrying out internet research working in website related projects;
* Running errands on campus, mail processing and delivery; Providing clerical support as needed
* Demonstrated organizational skills.
* Demonstrated regular and punctual attendance at work and professional demeanor.
* Proficiency in Spanish and or Portuguese is a plus.
* Experience with electronic calendars, internet, printers, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Word and Excel a plus.
* Knowledge and interest in Latin American issues is a plus
if the student is bilingual, job would include
* translation of documents (letters, articles, website info)