Class of 2015 First-Year Students, Welcome to Plan II Honors!
Orientation information is here....and there's more info to come.
Posted: July 6, 2011
Reminder: If your current email address is a school email (i.e email@example.com), send an alternate email address to us a firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read about the new UTMail Google email accounts.
- Sign up for UTMail. You may not be able to sign up for this account until you have attended Orientation. If not, don't worry. They will help you do so at Orientation.
First-Year Students' FYI:
- 2011 Orientation Advising Booklet contains course descriptions and first-year advising information
- New Student Handbook (2011/2012)
Plan II Freshman Getaway 2011
Friday, September 9, 2011
Entering first-year students, freshman faculty, Plan II peer advisers and staff travel go off campus for a killer BBQ dinner, music, entertainment, swimming, water-balloon battle, piñata, a Shakespeare performance, volleyball and other games. Shady Springs has big beautiful oaks and a lush lawn. (They have a spring on the property so even when we are in "extreme" drought conditions, the grass is soft and green.) There's a big "party barn," so even if it's rainy, there's plenty of room for fun.
Transportation: Buses will leave at 4:10 pm from Littlefield Fountain. The ride takes about 20 minutes. Buses will return you to Littlefield Fountain on campus at around 9 pm.
- Please bring: Comfortable, casual clothes. Shoes or sandals. Bathing suit & towel. Bug Spray. Your game face.
- Please Don’t Bring: Alcoholic beverages. Other illicit substances. Money or valuables (there are no lockers).
- Food: Buffet dinner featuring Texas-style barbecue and vegetarian options.
- Be ready for: FUN!
Cancellations and refunds: Cancel by Friday, September 2. No refunds after this date.
It's quite a bargain at $60 ($30 for the Getaway and $30 for a LIFETIME membership in the Plan II Students Association. Mail in the form(s) and check to the Plan II Honors office or bring the form and check (or cash) with you to Orientation.
Plan II Freshman Convocation 2011
Thursday, September 1, 2011
Convocation is a required event for all Plan II Honors First Year students. The Plan II director, Professor Michael Stoff, special guest speakers and Plan II Students Association co-presidents address the students and welcome everyone to Plan II Honors. Representatives from all the Plan II Honors student organizations (from the Broccoli Project drama group to the Undecided news blog) will be there to help you get involved and busy.
The Convocation will begin at 7:00 pm in Welch 2.224. Most World Literature cohorts will have dinner together prior to Convocation.
Go to the First-Year Students page for information on and links to:
- Fall 2011 Freshman Voltaire's Coffees and Coffee
Voltaire's Coffees: REGISTRATION LINK will be activated on July 18, 2011.
August 24th: Woodruff (Domjan date change TO Wed, Aug 31)
August 25th: Stoff, Draper
August 26th: Valentine
August 28th: Starbird, Coffin
August 29th: Gleeson
August 30th: Garrison, Bump
August 31st: Wettlaufer and Domjan (moved to Aug 31 from Aug 24)
September 5th: Thomas
September 6th: Mackay
September 7th: Friesen
- The Advising Packet (which will be mailed to you on May 31). Contains course descriptions and information on testing and test credits.
- The 2011/2012 Student Handbook
- The 2011/2012 Parent Handbook
- The September Freshman Getaway information and Registration forms (includes the membership form for the Plan II Students' Association)
- Convocation information
- Links to the Plan II Class of 2015 Facebook page and the Plan II Students Facebook page
- Worthington Essay Contest information
- Texas Government Test information
- ALEKS links and information
Orientation registration is ONLY on-line. Register for orientation.
Please note that Plan II Honors students must ALL ATTEND the Plan II Departmental Meeting at the Plan II Honors office, Will C. Hogg Bldg (Hogg Heaven), room 4.104 (fourth floor) from 5:00 to 7:00 pm on Day One. You will not join your parents at the BBQ. Plan II will serve you dinner. (Pizza!.....and cookies, of course)
None of the June or July orientation sessions are specific to only one college or major. Most colleges and programs participate in all the orientation sessions—only a few restrict entering freshman to specific sessions. Nothing will reference Plan II specifically in the orientation registration process. You’ll only see Plan II mentioned in the full schedule when you check in at your orientation session
Parent/Family Orientation Schedule (Day One of each Orientation session) Note: The Plan II Honors Parents' meeting is during the Meet the Academic Colleges: 12:45-1:45 p.m.
All the orientation registration, organization and details (with the exception of our Plan II meetings here for the Plan II admitted first-years) and REGISTRATION are the responsibility of the Dean of Students Office (DOS), specifically, the Office of New Student Services (NSS):. The Plan II admission response form is only a place for incoming Plan II students report to us the orientation session in which they registered at the official link. Choosing a session on that form doesn’t register you for anything. It’s a Plan II information tool only.
If a specific session is full, what Judy will tell you is to register for another session and check back regularly (even daily) to see if a space has become available in the session you want. Students tend to change their minds a lot between now and the first orientation session. What’s full today may well have an opening tomorrow or in two weeks.
The August 17-18 Fall Orietation session registration is now open.
The August session is free and just a slightly abbreviated from what is offered in the other sessions. But since it alleviates the need for additional interstate travel, most students coming from outside of Texas find it’s the most convenient and certainly the most economical.
If you change your plans and register for an different session than you reported on your admission response form, be sure to let Plan II know.