Post-Baccalaureate AdmissionsThe UTeach-Liberal Arts Post-Baccalaureate program continues the philosophy of a heavy emphasis on early and consistent field experience in public school classrooms in conjunction with a focus on students content area expertise. The Post-Baccalaureate Program is designed for students that already hold a Bachelor's degree in the field they want to teach and who wish to become certified secondary or middle schools teachers. The program consists of three long semesters (one and a half years) of rigorous UT coursework and fieldwork placements within local area schools.
|Certification Field||Grade Level|
|English||4-8 or 8-12|
|Social Studies||4-8 or 8-12|
Degree: bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university (UTeach-Liberal Arts recommends post-bac candidates have a bachelor’s degree with a major in the area in which they are seeking certification).
GPA: cumulative GPA of 3.0 (all courses from all institutions), GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework, and GPA of 3.0 in major
Please Note: UT-Austin Office of Admissions requirements may be higher.
TOEFL iBT Score: for Postbacc's with a bachelor's degree from an accredited international college or university, TOEFL iBT scores are required as follows:
- Minimum Overall score of 79
- Minimum score of 27 on Writing Section
- Minimum score of 27 on Speaking Section
- For more information on taking the TOEFL iBT visit: http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about/
The application process for post-bacs is a two-step process. Separate applications are turned in for each admission process. Please Note: Admission to UT-Austin does not guarantee acceptance into the UTeach-Liberal Arts Post-Baccalaureate Program.
Step I: Apply to UT-Austin
All post-bacs apply to the University as a non-degree seeking, certification seeking students.
- NON-UT STUDENTS: Application information is available on the Non-Degree Seeking Student section of the UT Admissions website. Applications are submitted online via ApplyTexas or through a paper application available at the UT Admissions Office.
- FORMER UT STUDENTS: Application information is available on the Readmission section of the UT Admissions website. Applications are submitted online via ApplyTexas, or download a printable application via the Readmissions section of the UT Admissions Website.
Step II: Apply to UTeach-Liberal Arts
Download the UTeach-Liberal Arts Post-Baccalaureate Application. Submit the following documents:
- Post-Baccalaureate Information Sheet
- Content Area Summary Sheet
- Current Resume
- Statement of Purpose (100-word maximum)
- Responses to two of the following essay question (500-750 words each):
- Why do you want to teach and, in particular, why do you want to teach the subject you have chosen? (Required for all applicants)
- In this rapidly changing world from printed to digital material, how do you envision English teachers continuing to engage students in the reading and study of novels, poetry, and short stories? (Required for English applicants)
- How does the study of languages increase your understanding of other cultures, including your own? (Required for LOTE applicants)
- Describe an experience in which you have demonstrated a high level of success and professionalism. (Required for Social Studies applicants)
- Additional Relevant Information: indicate any other information, qualifications, or achievements such as special projects, honors, scholarships, or teaching experience.
Application Deadlines and Submission
Applicants should refer to the UT Admissions website for UT-Austin application deadlines and submission instructions.
UTeach-Liberal Arts post-bac application materials must be mailed to the UTeach-Liberal Arts program office and post-marked by the following application deadlines:
Non-UT transfer students: MARCH 1ST
Former UT students: JUNE 1ST
Non-UT transfer students: OCTOBER 1ST
Former UT students: OCTOBER 1ST
Submit UTeach-Liberal Arts Post-Bac Materials to:
The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712-1257
After You Apply
The Admissions Committee will evaluate transcripts and documents for:
- Bachelors degree conferment
- Coursework and appropriate hours
- GPA Requirements
- Essay responses
- Additional submitted materials
Post-Bac ApplicationDownload the Post-Baccalaureate Application
Post-Bac Course Requirements
English 4-8 PB
English 8-12 PB
LOTE Chinese EC-12 PB
LOTE French EC-12 PB
LOTE German EC-12 PB
LOTE Japanese EC-12 PB
LOTE Latin EC-12 PB
LOTE Spanish EC-12 PB
Social Studies 4-8 PB
Social Studies 8-12 PB
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download from Adobe's website.