Jews of Color: In Color!
An exhibition of more than fifty vibrant photographs of Jewish life around the world.
Mon, September 12, 2011 | The Gallery at the J, 7300 Hart Lane
In partnership with the Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies and Texas Hillel, the Jewish Community Association of Austin's Gallery at the J presents Scattered Among the the Nations's “Jews of Color: In Color!”—an exhibition of more than fifty vibrant photographs not previously shown in Austin. The exhibition opens at the JCC's Gallery at the J September 1, 2011. Join us for a free artist reception and program with photographer Bryan Schwartz on Sunday, September 11 at 3:00 PM at the JCC Community Hall Stage.
“Jews of Color: In Color!” challenges stereotypes of the Jewish people, portraying five communities in Africa, Asia, and Latin America whose populations share the outward appearance and lifestyles of the people who surround them, with one major difference: they are practicing Jews. Featured communities include India’s Bene Israel community, India’s Benei Menashe community, Mexico's Venta Prieta community, Ghana’s House of Israel, and Zimbabwe's Shona Jews.
The exhibit will run at the Gallery at the J until October 3, when it will move to Texas Hillel.
- Read the Schusterman Center's expanded news article, and view a selection of the exhibit's photos on our Facebook page.
- Check out www.scatteredamongthenations.org for more extensive information on the non-profit organization, as well as a selection of articles regarding isolated Jewish communities.
- For more information on this exhibition and the Gallery at the J's new season, contact Pam Prais at (512) 735-8034 or email@example.com.
Sponsored by: The Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies, The Jewish Community Association of Austin, and Texas Hillel
- Undergraduate Program
- Institute for Israel Studies
Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies
University of Texas at Austin
305 E 23rd St B3600
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: