Dr. Pamela Paxton’s UGS Philanthropy Course Gives $100,000 to Charity
Fri, May 2, 2014
Dr. Pamela Paxton’s Undergraduate Studies 303 course, "Philanthropy: The Power of Giving," teaches students the importance of philanthropic acts toward the non-profit sector in the United States.
At the beginning of the semester, the class is divided into groups based on their philanthropic interests. Each group is then responsible for researching a variety of non-profit organizations and present to the class one charitable group they believe is most deserving of the raised funds. At the end of the semester, the whole class votes between two to six charities they’d like to receive the donations.
The organizations selected by the class include:
• Charity: Water – $30,000 to build two wells in Ethiopia.
• KIPP Austin – $20,000 to further free public charter schools for underserved children.
• Caring for Cambodia – $20,000 to build schools to further the education of children in Cambodia.
• Common Hope – $20,000 to further secondary school education in Guatemala.
• Sustainable Harvest – $10,000 to promote sustainable land use in Agua Fria, Honduras.
• Overseas Helping Hands - $3,000
• Autism Trust - $2,000
• Freedom from Hunger - $1,000
Half of the $100,000 gift was provided by a grant from the Once Upon a Time Foundation, which encourages universities to teach students the importance of charitable giving. The other half was individually donated.
Cheers to an inspiring and informative semester Professor Paxton has provided for the students at UT and the charitable organizations!
More information about the course can be found in the College of Liberal Arts Life & Letters.
- Faculty & Research
- Work Groups
- Progress through the program
- Forms and instructions
- Graduate students
- Campus health and safety resources
- Undergraduate Program
- Courses in Sociology
- Events & Seminars
- Alumni & Giving
- About & Resources
- Population Research Center
- College of Liberal Arts Centralized Business Services (CBS)
- Campus Climate Response Team
Department of Sociology
The University of Texas at Austin
305 E 23rd St, A1700
Austin, TX 78712-1086
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: