Research Involving Human Subjects
Students who are thinking of conducting research that involves human subjects should be aware that approval is required before they can proceed. Federal regulations and The University of Texas at Austin require that all human subject research be reviewed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) in the Office of Research Support (ORS). This approval process ensures that the rights and welfare of humans participating as subjects in research are protected.
All research must be reviewed and approved prior to the start of the project.
There are five steps to the application process:
- Complete the online human participant training.
- Complete the online IRB electronic application.
- Complete and submit the consent form.
- Complete and submit the required proposal format form.
- Submit a copy of the qualitative interview guide and/or survey questionnaire that will be utilized in the research.
There are many things to consider and understand about this process, so please visit IRB's Web site for more information: www.utexas.edu/irb