Proverbs 8 (English-RSV)
Proverbs 9 (English-RSV)
- 1Does not wisdom call, does not understanding raise
- 2On the heights beside the way, in the paths she
takes her stand;
- 3beside the gates in front of the town, at the
entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
- 4"To you, O men, I call, and my cry is to the sons
- 5O simple ones, learn prudence; O foolish men, pay
- 6Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my
lips will come what is right;
- 7for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an
abomination to my lips.
- 8All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is
nothing twisted or crooked in them.
- 9They are all straight to him who understands and
right to those who find knowledge.
- 10Take my instruction instead of silver, and
knowledge rather than choice gold;
- 11for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that
you may desire cannot compare with her.
- 12I, wisdom, dwell in prudence, and I find
knowledge and discretion.
- 13The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and
arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
- 14I have counsel and sound wisdom, I have insight,
I have strength.
- 15By me kings reign, and rulers decree what is
- 16by me princes rule, and nobles govern the
- 17I love those who love me, and those who seek me
diligently find me.
- 18Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and
- 19My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and
my yield than choice silver.
- 20I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths
- 21endowing with wealth those who love me, and
filling their treasuries.
- 22The LORD created me at the beginning of his work,
the first of his acts of old.
- 23Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the
beginning of the earth.
- 24When there were no depths I was brought forth,
when there were no springs abounding with water.
- 25Before the mountains had been shaped, before the
hills, I was brought forth;
- 26before he had made the earth with its fields, or
the first of the dust of the world.
- 27When he established the heavens, I was there,
when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
- 28when he made firm the skies above, when he
established the fountains of the deep,
- 29when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that
the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out
the foundations of the earth,
- 30then I was beside him, like a master workman; and
I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always,
- 31rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting
in the sons of men.
- 32And now, my sons, listen to me: happy are those
who keep my ways.
- 33Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect
- 34Happy is the man who listens to me, watching
daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.
- 35For he who finds me finds life and obtains favor
from the LORD;
- 36but he who misses me injures himself; all who
hate me love death."
- 1Wisdom has built her house, she has set up her
- 2She has slaughtered her beasts, she has mixed her
wine, she has also set her table.
- 3She has sent out her maids to call from the
highest places in the town,
- 4"Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!" To him
who is without sense she says,
- 5"Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine I
- 6Leave simpleness, and live, and walk in the way of
- 7He who corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse, and
he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.
- 8Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you;
reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
- 9Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be
still wiser; teach a righteous man and he will increase in
- 10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
- 11For by me your days will be multiplied, and years
will be added to your life.
- 12If you are wise, you are wise for yourself; if
you scoff, you alone will bear it.
- 13A foolish woman is noisy; she is wanton and knows
- 14She sits at the door of her house, she takes a
seat on the high places of the town,
- 15calling to those who pass by, who are going
straight on their way,
- 16"Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!" And to
him who is without sense she says,
- 17"Stolen water is sweet, and bread eaten in secret
- 18But he does not know that the dead are there,
that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.
Return to CC
From the Bible