CC 301 Syllabus
Lecture 3 Outline
1. Renaissance Painting: Judgment of Paris
Images for Lecture 3
2. Renaissance Painting: Thetis, Achilles and the Styx
3. Thetis, Achilles and the Styx (the cartoon version)
4. Pompeian wall painting: Achilles on Skyros
5. Pompeian wall painting: Sacrifice of Iphigenia
6. Hellenistic Sculptural Group: Laocoön and his sons
7. The Trojan Horse
8. Hisarlik: Aerial View
9. Heinrich Schliemann, the 'Father of Archaeology'
10. Sophia Schliemann and the "Jewels of Helen"
11. Artist Reconstruction: Haussner’s layered view of the nine major settlements at Troy
12. Excavations at Troy: Doerpfeld's Site Map
13. Troy II: Stratigraphy and evidence of burning
14. Artist Reconstruction: Troy II. Acropolis and part of the lower city.
15. Artist Reconstruction: Troy VI. The city, plain of Troy, and ancient coastline.
16. Troy VI: Human Destruction or Earthquake?
17. Troy VI: Stone defensive walls
18. Troy VI: Exterior of the south gate
19. Artist Reconstruction: Troy VI. Acropolis and part of the lower city
20. General view of the excavated area of Hellenistic and Roman Ilion (Troy).
21. Troy IX: The Hellenistic / Roman odeion at Troy
Note: All images used on
Classics Department pages accessed from this site are subject to
copyright regulations, and are provided for non-commercial, study
modified Jan. 22, 2013