The television series "Africans in America" recently aired on PBS. The experience of slavery and African-Americans was not simply a singular experience between whites and slaves. For this assignment, explore the series's companion web page, especially the section concerning westward expansion. Answer the following questions in two to three complete sentences each. This assignment is due in class on thursday, November 5th.
1. What was one reason why the US invaded Spanish Florida in 1818?
2. What was the Indian Removal Act?
3. The Cherokee brought a case before the Supreme Court in 1831. What were the circumstances of this court case and how was it resolved?
4. What was the "Trail of Tears"?
5. What role did slavery play in the settlement of Texas under Mexican rule and how did it affect the region after 1846 and Texas's attempts to gain statehood?
6. What was "Bleeding Kansas"?
comments to Wilson or Lovata
Created by TRL 10/27/98, modified by TRL 10/28/98