OIE staff provides guidance, training services, and educational initiatives to University faculty, staff, and students to support diversity, inclusiveness, equal access, equitable treatment, cultural understanding and the prevention of prohibited discrimination and harassment.
OIE oversees, facilitates and supports the University’s efforts to ensure equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, citizenship, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, retaliation, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual orientation and veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
To fulfill our mission, the Office of Institutional Equity provides:
- Information, consultation, training and resources to the University community with regard to diversity, harassment and discrimination prevention, affirmative action, equal opportunity and disability matters;
- Individual consultation with University managers, supervisors, staff, faculty, students, and administrators;
- OIE and Campus Diversity and Strategic Initiatives (CDSI) partner to provide consultations that enhance recruitment initiatives across campus;
- A mechanism for responding to complaints of harassment and discrimination;
- Oversight of and support for the University’s compliance efforts in the areas of equal opportunity, affirmative action, harassment and discrimination prevention, and compliance with all applicable State and Federal civil rights laws.