Awards and Recognition
We are proud of our award-winning services and dedicated staff members. You can meet some of our amazing staff members by reading about our SITES Awards winners, or you can learn more about the accomplishments of our organization through viewing our recent awards and recognitions listed below.
Custodial Services Recognized at 2012 Simon Institute Symposium
At the Symposium--(OS1) Users Group Meeting--Custodial Services received the Mark Reimers Cleaning for Health Award for contributions to the cleaning industry over the past 12 years. The division also earned the (OS1) Peer Influence Award for assisting peers in furthering their knowledge in the cleaning industry. (OS1) Green Certified Program of Excellence honors went to Welch Hall and the Sanchez Building.
Custodial Services' FIT Start Program Named an APPA Effective & Innovative Practice
The university received a $4,000 check for its innovative start-of-shift warm up routine for custodial employees. Award was presented to Mike Miller and Sally Moore at APPA 2012 in Denver on July 17.
Director Mike Miller Honored as Unsung Hero at APPA 2012
Mike received the APPA president's Unsung Hero Award for his work as a board member, vice president, and president of TAPPA as well has his volunteer work with CAPPA committees and task forces. The award is given to individual APPA members who have demonstrated exceptional achievement in facilities management and have made outstanding contributions to the association.
Employees Receive University's 2012 Outstanding Staff Award
Staff members Jennifer Heath, Gloria Munoz de Ramirez, and Reynaldo Torries honored in May.
Arbor Day Foundation Names University a Tree Campus USA
UT earns honor for 4th consecutive year.
Alice Clayton Named a 2011 SLICE Winner
Fire Safety Systems administrative assistant earns University Operations SLICE honor for excellent service.
University Wins 2011 Maintenance Solutions Achievement Award
Facilities Services used solid data to secure a funding increase for renovations.
Custodial Services Earns Best Cleaning Program Award
Presented at the 10th Annual (OS1) Users Symposium, July 10-12, 2011 in Salt Lake City.
Texas Forest Services Enters Historic Cedar into Big Tree Registry
The deodar cedar adjacent to the Littlefield Home determined to be largest of its species in the state.
Texas Community Forestry Awards program names Norman Hackerman Building Tree Relocation Project winner of the "Arboricultural Project Award."
Facilities Services earns recycling honors in Texas RecycleMania competition
Read the news release to learn more (pdf)
Custodial Services Training Program Wins (OS1) Honors
Read about our Training Program of the Year award (pdf)
Arbor Day Foundation names the university a Tree Campus USA for second year.
Read about the honor. (pdf)
Custodial Services Honored at 2009 (OS1) Symposium
Read about the awards. (pdf)
SITES and On the Spot Programs Earn "Effective & Innovative Practices" Award
The University of Texas at Austin received an APPA Effective and Innovative Practices Award for Facilities Services and Project Management and Construction Services (PMCS) SITES and On the Spot Employee Recognition programs. Facilities Services Director Mike Miller and Training Manager Jennifer Heath accepted the award on behalf of the university at the APPA 2009 Conference on July 8.
Arbor Day Foundation names UT a 2008 Campus Tree Tour site
Read Foundation letter announcing this honor.
Urban Forester Larry Maginnis Named Arborist of the Year
Custodial Services Honored at 2008 (OS1) Symposium
Read press release for details.
Staff Excellence Awards
The Staff Excellence Awards Program recognizes the invaluable contributions that staff make to the university's continued success.
- Jennifer Heath, Training Manager
- Gloria Munoz de Ramirez, Building Attendant Leader
- Reynaldo Torres, PRC Maintenance & Construction Manager
- Glenn R. Sauls, Solid Waste Leader
- James R. Schlesinger, Assistant Supervisor, Transportation
- Andew A. Stirton, Facilities Maintenance Technical Trades Assistant Supervisor
- Alta L. Cannon, Central Stores Administrative Associate
- Roy L. Jones, Transportation Services Materials Handler Crew Leader
SLICE Awards (University Operations)
SLICE Award winners included Alfredo Lopez, Stores Clerk III in Central Stores, and Robert Moddrell, Training Manager for Custodial Services
2007 SLICE Awards
SLICE Award winners included Melvin Daniels, Facilities Services Supervisor for Solid Waste and Recycling.
Other Awards - 2003 through 2007
- Landscape Services received the 2007 Grand Award in University and College Grounds from the Professional Grounds Management Society.
- Recycling and Solid Waste supervisor Melvin Daniels was recognized for his joint effort with the Student Recycling Committee and won the RecycleMania 2007 Waste Minimization award.
- Custodial Services won the OS1 Best Pioneer Award in 2006.
- Landscape Services manager, John Burns, was named to the Professional Grounds Management Society Board of Directors in 2006.
- Building Maintenance won the National Air Filtration Association 2005 Clean Air Award.
- Landscape Services won the Grand Award in University and College Grounds from the Professional Grounds Management Society in 2004.
- Landscape Services was named one of the Top Ten Outstanding Grounds Operations by Landscape Management magazine in July 2004.
- Custodial Services was named the Best OS1 Custodial Program by the National OS1 Custodial Program in 2004.
- Custodial Services was named the Best OS1 Training Program by the National OS1 Custodial Program in 2004 and 2003.
- Landscape Services won a Professional Grounds Management Honor Award from the Professional Grounds Management Society in 2003.
Facilities Services is a member of APPA. APPA's Institute for Facilities Management is a four-track course of study held twice yearly. It includes core programming in General Administration, Maintenance & Operations, Energy & Utilities, and Planning, Design & Construction. Below are the current employees who have received a Certificate of Graduation for successfully completing the full course offered by the Institute.