Pickle Research Campus Facilities Services
- Call 512-471-3600 for service requests
- Alternate: Call 471-2020 for service requests
- Construction/renovation projects: Contact Sam Narduzzo, 512-475-6065
The 475-acre J.J. Pickle Research Campus (PRC) is located about eight miles north of the main university campus, and consists of facilities that originally functioned as a magnesium plant during World War II. The university purchased the campus in 1949, and PRC now houses some of the finest research departments in the world, including Applied Research Laboratories, the Bureau of Economic Geology, the Center for Electromechanics, Texas Advanced Computing Center, and the Nuclear Engineering Teaching Lab. We serve the PRC with the following:
- Respond to trouble calls for the PRC campus, whether they are entered in the WORQS system or by phone.
- Provide repair and maintenance services to the PRC campus, including plumbing and electrical repairs. PRC is one of five Facilities Maintenance zones.
- Shop 68, the chilling plant operations shop, produces chilled and hot water, processes steam production, and maintains environmental climate control for about 75 percent of the PRC campus. Shop 68 contains 11 water-cooled chillers at four different locations, with a total capacity of about 7,000 tons.
- We operate and maintain the blade server room for the Texas Academic Computing Center at the ROC, which has a heat load and density unlike any other facility in the nation.
- We run three steam boilers, 36 hot water heating boilers, and about 50 air handlers.
- Facilities Services ensures custodial services are available to educational and general buildings, provides services to auxiliary facilities, and provides trash and recycling retrieval and disposal throughout the campus.