The University of Texas at Austin - What Starts Here Changes the World
Contact Us | For Staff


More Info





Locks & Keys home

Pickle Research Campus (PRC)

Send key requests to For questions regarding the lock and key process, call Main Campus Lock and Key Services at 471-8640.



How to Pick Up Keys

To pick up keys, go to the Lock and Key Services office between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday-Friday.

What you need with you to pick up keys:

How to Return Keys

You may return keys in person, in a key return box, or in the mail. Just take the following steps:

Note: You must return keys to the Lock and Key Services office in order for us to remove the keys from your record, so be sure to return them properly using one of the methods listed above. (It is best to return keys in person so you can get a receipt of return.)

How to Get Replacement Keys

File Cabinet, Desk and Miscellaneous Keys


How to get copies of file cabinet, desk, and miscellaneous keys:

To get copies of keys for file cabinets, desks, or other miscellaneous non-university-issued locks, fill out a service request online through WORQS or fax a completed service request form (pdf) to (512) 471-8788. Lock and Key Services will receive your request.  A representative from our shop will call you if we have any questions. Otherwise, you will receive a call from us to let you know your key is ready, usually within 24 hours.  Please note we are unable to create double-sided keys.

Make sure the service request form includes the following:

If you do not have a copy of the key or do not know the code for the key you need, do one of the following:

Costs for miscellaneous key copies:

Copies of miscellaneous keys cost $1.00 each, plus an additional labor charge. The labor charge is cheaper if you provide us with a copy of the key you want duplicated. For an estimate of how much it will cost to have miscellaneous keys made, please call 512-471-8640. If you simply need your furniture unlocked, read about locks.

Contractor Keys

If you are a contractor who needs to get keys for a building on campus, please ask your university contact person to complete a Contractor's Key Request Form (pdf).

A Contractor's Key Request Form should include:

Once we process this form, we will contact you and you will be able to pick up the keys from Lock and Key Services during normal business hours. These keys will only be distributed for temporary use and you are required to return the keys to Lock and Key Services when you are done with them.

Mechanical Room Keys

For your safety, we generally give mechanical room access to Facilities Services staff members only. However, university faculty or staff members may request controlled access to mechanical rooms in special situations. To request mechanical room access, complete a Mechanical Room Access Request Form (pdf), and submit the form to Lock and Key Services. Be sure to note the specific mechanical room(s) you wish to access on the form.

We will carefully review your request according to your particular circumstances and the contents of the room you are requesting access to, and we will notify you of whether your request is approved. If your request is approved, you will then need to submit a service request form (pdf) work request form to have the mechanical room(s) re-keyed to accommodate both the mechanical master key and your sub-key. Once the service request form (pdf) form is processed, Lock and Key Services will re-key the mechanical room(s) and your department will be charged for the cost of the re-key.

On the Pickle Research Campus . . .

Call 512-471-8640 with all key-related questions.

Our Services