The University of Texas at Austin - What Starts Here Changes the World
Contact Us | For Staff

Recycle Right

The following table is also available as a downloadable PDF poster.


Material Acceptable Not Acceptable Where to Recycle Managed By Containers

Paper & Cardboard

Aluminum Cans

Food Cans



  • office paper
  • glossy paper
  • colored paper
  • envelopes
  • card stock
  • magazines
  • books
  • corrugated cardboard
  • paperboard
  • sticky notes
  • clean drink cans
  • clean food cans
  • plastic drink bottles
  • clean food containers
  • hard plastics #1-7
  • unbroken glass
  • carbon paper
  • waxy paper
  • food packaging
  • anything stained with oil/food
  • napkins
  • tissues
  • paper towels (clean or dirty)
  • plastic bags
  • plastic film
  • bubble wrap
  • unopened containers
  • unwashed containers
  • lab glass
  • broken glass

Inside buildings: comingle recyclables in hallway and break room bins or silver bins.

Deskside blue bins are for paper only.

See campus recycling map for outdoor locations.

UT Facilities Services

  • Custodial Services
  • Landscaping
  • Recycling & Solid Waste


Join our informational email list for updates.

Direct Contact:

blue indoor and green outdoor recycle bins
Ink & Toner Cartridges All ink and toner cartridges N/A Place your ink and toner by your outgoing mail and label “Document Solutions Ink Recycling.” To request a large pickup, or for more information, visit Document Solutions’ website. Document Solutions Reuse original boxes, or wrap securely with other materials (provided by department).
Light Bulbs Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)
  • Incandescent or halogen bulbs
  • Fluorescent tubes
You may collect CFLs for recycling and safe handling. You may request a pick-up from Environmental Health & Safety. Download a handling form at this link. Environmental Health & Safety Must be provided by your department.
Rechargeable Batteries Lithium, lead-acid, all rechargeable batteries  Alkaline, non-rechargeable batteries (see below) Environmental Health & Safety handles all
non-alkaline batteries for recycling and safe disposal. Download a handling request at this link.
Environmental Health & Safety Batteries are a fire hazard. Please use proper storage and handling procedures while collecting them for recycling.

Neutralize battery terminals with non-conducting tape while waiting for pick-up. Isolate batteries from each other in individual plastic bags. Do NOT use cardboard boxes or other flammable containers.
Single-Use Batteries D, C, AA, AAA, AAAA, A23, 9-volt batteries Rechargeable batteries (see above), large Collection station on first floor of SSB. Also see Recycle Right FAQ for other options. Facilities Services recycle bin for batteries, discs, and cell phones
CDs/DVDs Disc storage media Any other storage media Collection station on first floor of SSB Facilities Services recycle bin for batteries, discs, and cell phones
Cell Phones All cell phones and charging cords N/A Collection station on first floor of SSB Facilities Services recycle bin for batteries, discs, and cell phones
Styrofoam Hard-mold Styrofoam used in packing
  • Packing peanuts
  • Food packaging

First Mondays of each month from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the WEL loading dock

Office of Sustainability Bag the Styrofoam in clear/white bags before dropoff.
Electronic Waste (UT) UT-owned computers and peripherals, printers, copiers, cell and desk phones, etc. Personally owned items Contact UT Surplus Property at their Website. Facilities Services Surplus Property Unit N/A
Electronic Waste (personal) Anything with a plug and/or charger; electronic storage (CDs, hard drives) UT-owned items

Hard drives: ITS hard drive destruction service.  

Lightly used media/personal computers: Check with the Campus Computer Store for trade-in value.

Broken or old items: donate to the Student Engineering Council annual e-waste drive in April.

Variable If temporary storage is required, the department or individual must provide it.
Furniture (UT) University-owned office furnishings (desks, chairs, tables, etc.); wood pallets Personally owned items

Contact UT Surplus Property. Lab equipment and refrigerators require special handling.

You may also refurbish furniture from Surplus or in your own office through the UT Furniture Shop.

Facilities Services (Surplus Property or Furniture