Longhorn Lights Out
NEWS AND HIGHLIGHTS
What's Going On in September
Our next LLO event takes place on September 26, 2014, the last Friday of the month. You can help make a difference! Students can click here to sign up to turn off lights and help power down across campus. Faculty and staff can click here to pledge to power down and turn off lights in their work spaces.
Congratulations to the July 2014 Grand Prize Winner!
Wilbert King, Grants and Contracts Specialist with the Department of Biological Sciences:
"Energy conservation is an ongoing goal for me in both my personal life and at work. And if I can make decisions to reduce my carbon footprint, it is a plus for the environment and for future generations. Longhorn Lights Out is an important and invaluable program because it increases awareness regarding employee energy conservation and challenges UT faculty, staff and students to do their part by participating in the program. And collectively we can make a difference."
Your Survey Feedback
Thank you to all of you who participated in our recent survey! Your feedback helps to make our program better. Here's what you said:
- You would like the LLO event to take place on a monthly basis.
- You really like the t-shirts.
- Your motivation comes from wanting to help save energy on campus.
- You are more aware of energy use on campus because of your participation in LLO.
- You want to continue to participate, any time.
- You believe that LLO positively impacts your behavior when it comes to energy use.
- Your preferred choice of hearing from us is through email.
Click here to see the full report. [Coming soon.]
New Conservation app at UT - Get it for your device!
Did you know that The University of Texas at Austin has a sustainability app called UTConserve? UTConserve lets you join the UT community in earning pins and badges for sustainable actions you take every day on campus. You can also win prizes in monthly contests. Join us for some friendly competitions and download the app at www.joulebug.com/utconserve/.
RESULTS FROM PREVIOUS LLO:
Click here to get more details, how to volunteer, and other cool information about Longhorn Lights Out.
OUR VOLUNTEERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
The success of Longhorn Lights Out (LLO) requires the efforts of many people on our team. And that includes our amazing volunteers, whose commitment and enthusiasm is unmatched!
For the April 2014 LLO, we collaborated with Engineers for a Sustainable World (ESW) as we led a team of 33 volunteers, representing seven colleges at the university, to assist in reducing loads in common areas. Our teams turned off 4,080 light switches, 6 projectors, and 36 computer monitors in 28 buildings.
We'd love to hear from you!
RESOURCES FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION AT WORK AND AT HOME
- If you have trouble locating a light switch, or have questions about saving energy at work or home, e-mail our energy stewards at email@example.com.
- At home, you may find it helpful to follow guidelines for "When To Turn Off Your Lights" offered by the U.S. Department of Energy.