Click here to view document in portable document format (PDF)

67


DOCUMENTS OF THE GENERAL FACULTY

The minutes of the regular Faculty Council meeting of September 20, 1999, published below, are included in the Documents of the General Faculty for the information of the members.



<signed>

John R. Durbin, Secretary
The General Faculty




MINUTES OF THE REGULAR FACULTY COUNCIL MEETING OF

SEPTEMBER 20, 1999

The first meeting of the Faculty Council for the academic year 1999-2000 was held in Room 212 of the Main Building on Monday, September 20, 1999, at 2:15 p.m.

ATTENDANCE.

Present:
Christopher O. Adejumo, Katherine M. Arens, Efraim P. Armendariz, Neal E. Armstrong, Joseph J. Beaman, Loftus C. Carson, Richard A. Cherwitz, Richard L. Cleary, Alan K. Cline, Donald G. Davis, Patrick J. Davis, John R. Durbin, John S. Dzienkowski, Catharine H. Echols, Sheldon Ekland-Olson, Larry R. Faulkner, Ana Cristina Ferreira-Pinto, Rachel T. Fouladi, G. Charles Franklin, Alan W. Friedman, Sara C. Galvan, James D. Garrison, Erayne N. Gee, John C. Gilbert, Edmund (Ted) Gordon, Lawrence S. Graham, Thomas A. Griffy, Tracy C. Hamilton, Barbara J. Harlow, Roderick P. Hart, , James L. Hill, Martha F. Hilley, Vance R. Holloway, Sharon H. Justice, Manuel J. Justiz, Elizabeth L. Keating, Michael L. Lauderdale, Desmond F. Lawler, Steven W. Leslie, Brian P. Levack, Laura E. Luthy, Margaret N. Maxey, Gregory R. Murphy, David A. Nancarrow, Dean P. Neikirk, Edward W. Odell, Patricia C. Ohlendorf, Eric C. Opiela, Alba A. Ortiz, Thomas G. Palaima, Bruce P. Palka, Randall M. Parker, Shelley M. Payne, Elmira Popova, Robert A. Prentice, Elizabeth Richmond-Garza, Gretchen Ritter, Charles A. Roeckle, Juan M. Sanchez, Joel F. Sherzer, Lawrence W. Speck, John E. St. Lawrence, Janice S. Todd, Michael C. Tusa, James W. Vick, Lonnie H. Wagstaff, N. Bruce Walker, Barbara W. White.

Absent. Urton L. Anderson, Victor L. Arnold (excused), Joel W. Barlow, Phillip J. Barrish (excused), Gerard H. B¯hague (excused), Harold W. Billings, William D. Carlson, Michael B. Clement, Jere Confrey, Richard L. Corsi, Edwin Dorn, Robert A. Duke (excused), Parisa Fatehi, G. Karl Galinsky, Linda L. Golden (excused), Sue A. Greninger (excused), Julie Hallmark (excused), Thomas M. Hatfield, Kerry A. Kinney, J. Parker Lamb, Richard W. Lariviere, William S. Livingston, Vincent A. Mariani, Robert G. May, Atisha G. Patel (excused), Theodore E. Pfeifer, Mary Ann R. Rankin, Johnnie D. Ray, Andrew M. Riggsby, Victoria Rodriguez, Dolores Sands, Roberta I. Shaffer, M. Michael Sharlot, Michael P. Starbird (excused), Ben G. Streetman, Alexa M. Stuifbergen, Teresa A. Sullivan (excused), Ellen A. Wartella, Karin G. Wilkins (excused).

Voting Members:
Non-Voting Members:
Total Members:

52
16
68

present
present
present

24
15
39

absent
absent
absent

76
31
107

total
total
total


68


I.   REPORT OF THE SECRETARY (D 30-33).

The secretary called attention to several items on the written report and to the new numbering system for faculty documents, which is explained on page D 1.

II.   APPROVAL OF MINUTES.

A.
  Minutes of the Faculty Council Meeting of April 19, 1999 (D&P 17115-17121/D&M 22653-22659).

B.
  Minutes of the Special Faculty Council Meeting of May 10, 1999 (D&P 17122-17123/D&M 22660-22661).

C.
  Minutes of the Regular Faculty Council Meeting of May 10, 1999 (D&P 17124-17127/D&M 22662-22665).

  All minutes were approved without dissent.

III.   COMMUNICATION WITH THE PRESIDENT.

A.
 

Comments by the President.

At its meeting on April 19, 1999, the council endorsed and forwarded to President Faulkner the final report of the ad hoc Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics, chaired by Charles Alan Wright (law), (D&P 17000-17034). On September 20, Faulkner outlined his actions on the recommendations in the report. (More details were provided in a September 30 letter, which is attached (D 72-75).)

Faulkner said that in keeping with recommendations in the report, the following actions were being taken.

  • The Faculty Building Advisory Committee will be advised of any new construction or repair and renovation project estimated to cost $10 million or more. The president will consider the views of the committee in evaluating such projects.

  • Although the Longhorn Foundation and the Longhorn Legacy Capital Campaign will continue to report to the vice president for administration, the staff will take part in the same types of assessments and coordination sessions that the deans and the vice president for development have with the major gifts officers in the colleges and schools.

  • The president is discussing with the Board of Regents a recommendation that the president appoint the two members of each of the athletics councils now named by the regents. The regents will make the decision on this recommendation.

  • The president will appoint the chairs of the two athletics councils for four-year terms. The faculty representative position to the conference and the NCAA will involve a six-year term and will be separated from the position of chair of the men's athletics council. Charles Alan Wright has accepted appointment as the faculty representative effective October 1.

In response to other recommendations, Faulkner said he agreed that it was important to keep in mind the philosophical differences among the faculty and the other UT constituencies about the place of athletics; he would work for better communication about the athletics programs; the administration would discuss a recommendation to provide donors to academic units the opportunity to purchase prime seating for athletics events or other athletic benefits; he agreed


69


 

the president should be in charge of intercollegiate athletics, and said that steps were being taken to improve the reporting process; and that the men's athletics council would follow a more frequent and regular meeting schedule.

On behalf of the ad hoc committee, Jack Gilbert (chemistry and biochemistry) thanked the president for implementing so many of the committee's recommendations.

B.
 

Questions to the President

  1. Parking

    Charles Franklin, Vice President for Business Affairs, and David Kapalko, Director of Parking and Traffic Administration, addressed several questions about campus parking.

    The number of F parking spaces on the campus has been reduced due to increased building. About 230 faculty and 170 staff who requested F permits this year did not receive them; however, all of the faculty in this group were offered space in parking garages.

    The campus master plan anticipated the construction of garages to replace the lots used for construction sites, but the plan does not recommend an increase in the overall number of parking spaces. It will be difficult to find parking locations convenient to the central campus.

    The campus master plan recommends conversion of a section of Speedway and sections of Inner Campus Drive from parking to pedestrian malls, and this will be discussed by the Parking and Traffic Policy Committee. Sara Galvan (Cabinet of College Councils) said that many students are in favor of closing Speedway to traffic. President Faulkner pointed out that this would have to be considered as part of larger issues relating to the Blanton Museum and the new dormitory now under construction.

    Gretchen Ritter (government) said there was confusion last summer because the applications for F permits and for parking garages were not coordinated. Franklin said the problem was caused in part because of overestimating the number of persons who would choose garages from among those who had been in F lots now used for construction. The parking committee will be asked to consider the use of some garage space for F permits next year.

    Shelley Payne (microbiology) inquired about the degree of overbooking for F lots. Kapalko answered that most faculty lots are overbooked by a factor of about 1.2 permits per space, but the factor depends on the size and location of the lot.

    Tracy Hamilton (Graduate Student Assembly) said she supported the idea of parking spaces off campus with transportation to the campus. The president said this fell in the purview of Capital Metro's overall responsibilities to the area, and the University was working with them on a long range development plan.

  2. Evaluation of administrators.

    In April of 1997 the UT System approved changes in the evaluation of deans of schools and colleges, and the selection and evaluation of department chairpersons and academic center directors. The University Council had approved these changes in October of 1994. For example, for the selection and evaluation of department chairpersons, the changes called for the election of a consultative committee consisting of at least three members;


70


 

wherever appropriate, this committee is to be constituted during the fall semester of the academic year.

Apparently due to the turnover in the central administration, as recently as last spring the policy approved in 1997 was not being followed in all parts of the campus. President Faulkner had been asked in a written question from the secretary to address this issue.

In the September 20 meeting, Provost Ekland-Olson said he would discuss this with the deans, and would soon have a response. The secretary later received a letter from the Provost to the deans, stating that the policies as approved would be followed in the future. (A copy is available in the Office of the General Faculty.)

IV.
  REPORT OF THE CHAIR.

Chair Martha Hilley (music) updated members of the council on matters that had transpired since the May meeting, including actions by the UT System Faculty Advisory Council. She also said she had sent a request to Board of Regents Chair Donald Evans that UT Austin faculty be consulted in the selection process for a new chancellor.

Hilley read a letter from Frieda Speck thanking the Council for its resolution of November 16, 1998, which recognized her contributions to faculty governance while serving in the Office of the General Faculty for many years.

V.
  REPORT OF THE CHAIR ELECT — None.

VI.
  SPECIAL ORDERS — None.

VII.
  PETITIONS — None.

VIII.
  UNFINISHED BUSINESS — None.

IX.
  NEW BUSINESS.

A.
 

Recommendation from the General Faculty Rules Committee on the UT System Faculty Advisory Council Representatives (D 34-35).

B.
  Recommendation from the General Faculty Rules Committee on the Faculty Council Executive Committee (D 36-37).

The recommendations in IX.A and IX.B were introduced by Randall M. Parker (special education), chair of the Rules Committee, and were approved by voice vote. They are to be presented for consideration at the annual meeting of the General Faculty on October 12.

C.
  Recommendation from the Educational Policy Committee on Course Substitution and Waiver Policy for Students with Disabilities (D 38-40).

Consideration of this recommendation was postponed until the October meeting of the council.


71


D.
  Recommendation from Student Assembly for Establishment of a Summer Dead Day (D 41-42).

This recommendation was referred to the Calendar Committee by Chair Hilley.

X.
  ANNOUNCEMENTS AND COMMENTS   None.

XI.
  QUESTIONS TO THE CHAIR   None.

XII.
  ADJOURNMENT.

The meeting adjourned at 3:25 p.m.










Distributed through the Faculty Council web site (www.utexas.edu/faculty/council/) on October 14, 1999. Copies are available on request from the Office of the General Faculty, FAC 22, F9500.


 

ATTACHMENT 1


September 30, 1999



Dr. John R. Durbin
Secretary
The Faculty Council
FAC 22 (F9500)


Dear John:

This letter is my response to the final report of the Ad Hoc Committee On Intercollegiate Athletics, D&P 17000 - 17034. As I said when I discussed the report at the Faculty Council meeting on September 20, I have discussed the report and recommendations with a number of interested members of the campus community. I outline below the actions that I am taking on the recommendations.

I have had a chance to thank many members of the Committee in person. I want to take this opportunity to recognize the entire Committee for its thorough and diligent consideration of the issues and for an excellent report.

The Committee proposed a mission statement and underlying principles for intercollegiate athletics beginning on D&P 17021. Nine specific recommendations followed beginning on D&P 17024.

The mission statement and underlying principles provide excellent guidance and standards for intercollegiate athletics operations and decision-making. A draft mission statement, including goals and objectives, that draws on the work of the Committee currently is being reviewed by the Athletics Councils. I will be meeting with both Athletics Councils this fall and will discuss the mission statement and the underlying principles. I also will be discussing action on the nine recommendations. These are:

  • We recommend that those with responsibility for the conduct of intercollegiate athletics always bear in mind that there are philosophical differences among the faculty and other UT constituencies about the place of athletics.

I am very aware that these philosophical differences exist. Patti Ohlendorf and I had a number of meetings this summer with various persons about the CommitteeÁs report. This issue was discussed with the Athletics Directors, the Chairs of the Athletics Councils, and the Faculty Representative to the NCAA and the Big 12. I also talked about the philosophical differences when I visited this summer with the Big 12

 


73


Commissioner. The issue will be kept in mind as major decisions regarding athletics are made.

  • We recommend that every effort be made to keep the faculty and other University communities fully informed about the athletics programs.

This will be an agenda item when I meet with the Athletics Councils this fall. I have asked Patti Ohlendorf to work with the Athletics Directors, the Chairs of the Athletics Councils, the Faculty Representative, and the Faculty Council Executive Committee to establish an appropriate mechanism for additional communication.

  • We recommend that before a new construction project or repair and renovation project estimated to cost $10 million or more goes to the President for approval, the Faculty Council, through its representatives on the Faculty Building Advisory Committee, be informed about the project and given an opportunity to express its view.

The Faculty Building Advisory Committee will be advised of any such projects and I will consider the views of the Committee when the projects are presented to me.

  • We recommend that the two Athletics Councils and the administration give further consideration to this idea. [The idea is to provide donors to academic units the opportunity to purchase prime seating for athletics events or other athletic benefits.]

The idea will be discussed this year. Of course, there is a significant capacity issue associated with this recommendation, especially with football and basketball, as pointed out in the report.

  • We recommend that the Longhorn Foundation and the Longhorn Legacy Capital Campaign report directly to the Vice President for Development as well as to the Athletics Directors.

As the Committee pointed out in its report, the major gifts officers in the colleges and schools began reporting jointly to the respective dean and the Vice President for Development. This provides for more standard and enhanced assessment of the work of the major gifts officers, better coordination of effort, and a mechanism for the colleges and schools to share funds and other resources with the Development Office. Patti Ohlendorf, Johnnie Ray, DeLoss Dodds, and Jody Conradt talked about this recommendation. It was decided that although the formal reporting line for the major gifts officers will not change, in part because the Athletics Departments are not eligible to receive any of the funding that the Development Office provides to the colleges and schools for development operations, those staff will take part in the same types of assessments and coordination sessions that the deans and the Vice President for


74


Development have with the major gifts officers in the colleges and schools. This change was made during the summer and both the Vice President for Development and the Athletics Directors are pleased with the effort.

  • We recommend that it continue to be the case that the President is in charge of intercollegiate athletics at this university and that the Athletics Councils be advisory to the President and to the Athletics Directors.

I agree fully with this recommendation. As I mentioned above, I plan to meet this fall with both Athletics Councils. I have asked Patti Ohlendorf to work this year with the Chairs of the Athletics Councils and the Athletics Directors to assess the operations of the Councils and determine what improvements might be made. I also am establishing a series of three meetings throughout the year to talk about athletics issues with the Vice President for Administration, the Chairs of the Athletics Councils, and the Faculty Representative.

  • We recommend that the two members of each of the Athletics Councils now named by the Regents be appointed instead by the President.

I am discussing this recommendation with the Chairman of the Board of Regents. The Regents will make the decision on this recommendation.

  • We recommend that the faculty representative to the NCAA and to the conference serve at the pleasure of the President and that he or she be ex officio a nonvoting member of the Athletics Council and that the chairman of each Athletics Council be one of the faculty members of the Council, named to be chairman by the President.

This recommendation received a large amount of my attention this summer. I discussed it with the Chairs of the Athletics Councils and others. Based upon those discussions and my personal belief that appointed positions should be for set terms, the following actions are being taken: The Faculty Representative position will be separated from the position of Chair of the MenÁs Athletics Council. Both Waneen Spirduso and Beverly Hadaway made this recommendation to me after they had time to reflect on the issue after the Committee had reported. I am making this change for several reasons. First, the issues that come before the Faculty Representative are not confined to menÁs athletics. In addition, the Faculty RepresentativeÁs workload is heavy and becoming more so. The intercollegiate athletics enterprise in the United States is in flux and is in need of diligent attention. The Faculty Representative must play a major role in this review and interact effectively with the Big 12 and the NCAA. The Chairs and faculty members of the Athletics Councils provide the primary internal faculty advice and input on athletics issues while the Faculty RepresentativeÁs primary focus is with external relationships and obligations. The Faculty Representative will be an ex officio member of both Councils, thus adding to faculty input on the Councils. I am establishing a six-year term for the


75


Faculty Representative and a four-year term for the Council Chairs. Both Waneen and Beverly have told me that they do not wish to remain as Chair for another four years but both have agreed to continue as Chair at least for this year. I am very pleased that Charles Alan Wright has accepted appointment as the Faculty Representative effective October 1.

  • We recommend that the MenÁs Athletics Council continue to meet at least as often as it is doing in the current academic year and that, except where urgent circumstances require otherwise, its meetings be scheduled well in advance.

This recommendation is being followed. The Chair of the MenÁs Athletics Council and the Athletics Director have scheduled the Council to meet regularly throughout 1999 å 2000.

I want to express once again my appreciation to the Committee for its work and the report. I also appreciate the interest of the faculty in these issues. I reiterate what I said to the Faculty Council shortly after I assumed the presidency. That is: While I serve as President here, I will place utmost emphasis on the preservation of The UniversityÁs integrity in all of its aspects, including intercollegiate athletics. At Texas, we have an admirable record of competing with integrity in our sports programs. Moreover, we have done so over many years at a very high level of achievement. In the menÁs programs, we have also done so within a self-financing program that does not burden The UniversityÁs resources from State appropriations, tuition, or fees. Finally, Texas has competed with honor and integrity in a period when The University has made great strides toward academic leadership at the top level. Very few other universities, even among elite private institutions, can make the same statements. I am deeply committed to seeing that they remain true when I depart from this office.


Sincerely,

<signed>

Larry R. Faulkner
President

LRF/p

cc: Professor Charles Alan Wright
Ad Hoc Committee Members
Professor Martha F. Hilley
Vice President Patricia C. Ohlendorf
MenÁs Athletics Council Members
WomenÁs Athletics Council Members

 

 

 


  Last updated: October 14, 1999.
  Comments Welcome.

Back to: