Edgar Everhart, retired professor of chemistry and member
of the second faculty of The University of Texas at Austin, died in
August 1932. He was 78.
Professor Everhart was born on April 8, 1854, in Stokes
County, North Carolina. He received bachelor's and master's degrees
from Racine College in 1873 and 1875, respectively. He earned a PhD
from Freiburg University in 1878.
Dr. Everhart taught at Stevens Institute of Technology
from 1878 until 1884. He joined the faculty of the University in 1884.
Professor Everhart helped establish the Department of Chemistry and
its library. He also secured legislative appropriations for the department's
first laboratory building.
Professor Everhart departed UT Austin in 1894, when
he accepted a position at Cox College in Georgia. From 1904 to 1930
he was chief chemist for the state geological survey of Georgia. His
skill in forensic chemistry often made him an expert witness in criminal
Professor Everhart was a founding member and president
of the Texas Academy of Science, an organization established by fourteen
UT Austin scientists in 1892.
John R. Durbin, Secretary
The General Faculty
Biographical sketch prepared by Teresa Palomo Acosta
and posted on the Faculty Council web site on January 5, 2001.
Additional biographical sources can be found in the Barker Texas
History Center and on the Department
of Chemistry and Biochemistry web site.