GEORGE P. GARRISON
George P. Garrison, professor of history and member
of the second faculty of The University of Texas at Austin, died on
July 3, 1910. He was 56.
Professor Garrison was born on December 19, 1853, in
Carrollton, Georgia. He received a certificate of literate in the arts
from the University of Edinburgh. He also earned certificates of merit
in mathematics, natural philosophy, logic, metaphysics, rhetoric, and
English from Edinburgh. He received a PhD from the University of Chicago
Professor Garrison joined the faculty of the University
in 1884. He served as chairman of the Department of History from 1888
until his death in 1910. He offered the department's first courses in
graduate studies in 1897. He also encouraged women to pursue graduate
work at a time when they could not yet earn a doctoral degree from the
Professor Garrison wrote several books, among them The
Civil Government of Texas and Texas: A Contest of Civilizations.
He also edited the three-volume Diplomatic Correspondence of the
Republic of Texas. Professor Garrison was a founder of the Texas
State Historical Association and helped win passage of legislation that
established the Texas State Library. He also helped acquire the Bexar
Archives for the University.
Tributes to Professor Garrison were
published in the Cactus and in The Quarterly, a publication
of the Texas State Historical Association, in 1909 and 1911, respectively.
Garrison Hall, which houses the history and American studies departments,
is named in his honor.
John R. Durbin, Secretary
The General Faculty
Biographical sketch prepared by Teresa Palomo Acosta
and posted on the Faculty Council web site on January 5, 2001.
Additional biographical sources can be found in the Barker Texas
History Center and the New
Handbook of Texas, Texas State Historical Association,