Index of Memorial Resolutions and Biographical Sketches
FREDRICH ERNST GIESECKE
Fredrich Ernst Giesecke, retired professor of architecture, died on June 27, 1953. He was 84.
Professor Giesecke was born on January 28, 1869, in Latium, Texas. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Texas A&M University in 1886 and 1890, respectively. He earned another bachelor's from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1904 and a PhD from the University of Illinois in 1924.
From 1886 to 1912 Dr. Giesecke taught at Texas A&M University. He joined the faculty of The University of Texas at Austin in 1912 to head the new Department of Architecture. In 1928 he resigned from the University to return to Texas A&M as college architect and chairman of the Department of Architecture. Between 1895 and 1940, when he retired, he designed, or supervised the design or construction of, more than twenty buildings at Texas A&M University.
Professor Giesecke's articles on water-heating systems, published in Heating and Ventilation Magazine, were considered groundbreaking. His experiments on rodding concrete led to the widespread use of ready-mixed concrete and his writings on the subject led to the acceptance of reinforced concrete structures. In 1936 he coauthored Technical Drawing, a highly-regarded publication used in many colleges in the nation.
Professor Giesecke belonged to numerous professional associations, including the American Institute of Architects, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He was also a charter member of the American Society of Engineering Education.
Professor Giesecke was a fellow of the American Society for the Advancement of Science. In 1941 he was awarded the F. Paul Anderson gold medal for his pioneering research in the science of heating and ventilation.
John R. Durbin, Secretary
The General Faculty
Biographical sketch prepared by Teresa Palomo Acosta and posted on the Faculty Council web site on January 18, 2001. Additional biographical sources can be found in the Barker Texas History Center and the New Handbook of Texas, Texas State Historical Association, 1996.