DOCUMENTS OF THE GENERAL FACULTY
FOURTH REGULAR MEETING OF THE FACULTY COUNCIL FOR 2013-2014
|The University of Texas at Austin
Main Building, Room 212
Monday, December 9, 2013
ORDER OF BUSINESS
- REPORT OF THE SECRETARY (D 10953-10964)—Dean Neikirk (professor, electrical and computer engineering).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES.
- Minutes of the Regular Faculty Council Meeting of November 18, 2013 (D 10965-10988).
- COMMUNICATION WITH THE PRESIDENT—William C. Powers Jr.
- Comments by the President.
- Questions to the President.
From Dr. Blinda McClelland, Biology Instructional Office:
Students are downloading content from Blackboard (a restricted site accessible only to registered students) and uploading these files to public websites such as "CourseHero" which then sells access to the information for a profit. (A search for "University of Texas" on the CourseHero website yields 80,900 files including quizzes, homeworks, exams, power points, etc.) Is the university willing and prepared to take proactive steps to counteract this practice which is, at the very least, a clear violation of the honor code and at worst the theft of intellectual property?
From Jon Olson, Petroleum & Geosystems Engineering: In addition to the content already listed in the question above, I found several documents with student names and EID’s. It seems like that might be a violation of FERPA rules?1
- REPORT OF THE CHAIR— Hillary Hart (distinguished senior lecturer, civil, architectural, and environmental engineering).
- REPORT OF THE CHAIR ELECT—William Beckner (professor, mathematics).
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS—None.
- REPORTS OF THE GENERAL FACULTY, COLLEGES, SCHOOLS, AND COMMITTEES—None.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Annual Report of the University Faculty Ombuds for 2012-2013 (D 10991)—Mary A. Steinhardt (faculty ombuds and professor, kinesiology and health education).
- Four Year Graduation-Rate Initiatives—David A. Laude (senior vice provost for enrollment and graduation management, professor, chemistry).
- Faculty Welfare Committee Report on Faculty Education Benefit—Blinda E. McClelland (committee chair and lecturer, biology).
- Resolution to Stop the Implementation of Shared Services (D 10992)—Dana Cloud (associate professor, communication studies) and Snehal Shingavi (assistant professor, English).1
- ANNOUNCEMENTS AND COMMENTS.
- The next Faculty Council meeting will be held on January 27, 2014, in MAI 212 at 2:15 PM.
- QUESTIONS TO THE CHAIR.
Dean Neikirk, Secretary
General Faculty and Faculty Council
Posted on the Faculty Council website on December 6, 2013.
1Added to the agenda the morning of December 9, 2013.