Apply to the Design Graduate Program
All applicants must apply to the university's Graduate School in addition to the Department of Art and Art History.
Please review instructions and submission deadlines below.
Submit Graduate School Application; Pay Fee
Suggested Deadline: December 15, 2013
The application for admission to the university's Graduate School is completed online at ApplyTexas.org. Review the notes below before beginning the application.
- The ApplyTexas portion of the admissions application should not take longer than an hour and is vital to completing all the subsequent application requirements for admission to our program. Your requests for reference will not be sent until you have submitted and paid for the ApplyTexas portion of your application. For this reason, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU SUBMIT THE APPLY TEXAS PORTION OF YOUR APPLICATION BY DECEMBER 15, 2013 AT THE LATEST.
- In the References section, provide names and email addresses of three recommenders. A secure email link will be sent to each person after you submit your application and pay the application fee.
- In the Statements section, simply type the following: My statements are being submitted through SlideRoom.
- $65 for U.S. applicants and permanent residents
- $90 for International applicants
- Payable online with Visa or Mastercard when completing the ApplyTexas application, or learn about other payment options
will open in a new browser window
Submit Transcripts, Test Scores, and Letters of Recommendations
Deadline: January 10, 2014
All of the following are submitted to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) of the university's Graduate School.
- GIAC encourages all transcripts to be submitted electronically. Institutions that are on the Texas Electronic Transcript Network or which use the national ANSI ASC X12 transcript format (SPEEDE) can provide electronic transcripts. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent via the SPEEDE server.
- If your institution cannot send transcripts via SPEEDE, you may upload a scanned PDF copy of your official transcript(s) from all undergraduate and graduate institutions. At this time, we do not accept PDF documents generated by your registrar or pdf scans of unofficial (student view) transcripts. If you upload a PDF of your transcript and are offered admission, you will need to then have an official copy of your transcript sent via mail.
- Transcripts are not required from any college that offers no coursework beyond the sophomore level (i.e. community or junior college).
- Current or former UT–Austin students must pay an additional $10 for the cost of duplicating their academic records.
- Learn more about submitting transcripts to GIAC.
- GRE scores are not required for admission to the Design graduate program.
International applicants must take either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the Academic Examination of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam and earn at least the minumum scores below. If you hold a bachelor's degree from a U.S. institution or an English-only speaking country, these tests are waived. View a list of countries from which students need not submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
TOEFL (Minimum Scores)
Paper Test: 550
Computer-Based Test: 213
Internet-Based Test: 79
IELTS (Minimum Score)
Overall Band Score: 6.5
Scores must be received by January 10, 2014. We strongly recommend taking your test at least one month in advance to insure your scores are received on time. Receipt of TOEFL or IELTS scores after the deadline
could result in disqualification of an application.
The code for the UT–Austin is 6882. No department code is needed.
Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Letters must be received from recommenders by January 10, 2014
- When you complete the References section of your ApplyTexas application, you provide names and email addresses of your three recommenders. A secure email link will be sent to each person after you submit your application and pay the application fee. This is the required method for receiving letters.
Submit Department Application and Portfolio Via SlideRoom
Deadline: January 10, 2014 at 11:59pm
The department application and portfolio are submitted online through SlideRoom. Review the notes below before beginning the application. Absolutely no late applications will be accepted–no exception.
You may submit up to ten projects. All ten projects should be included in one multiple-page PDF file, which includes:
- appropriate visual documentation of the project
- project title, date, client (if relevant), and dimensions or duration
- your role/contribution to the project if the project was a collaborative group project
- any pertinent and relevant project description/information (optional)
SlideRoom currently does not allow time-based projects (video or sound) to be embedded in PDF files. For these projects, you should reference them in the PDF described above. In this PDF, you should clarify that time-based documentation has been submitted as a separate file. These files should be clearly titled and submitted in one of the following formats:
- mov (60 MB max)
- wmv (60 MB max)
- mp3 (5 MB max)
You may also submit video using a link to Youtube or
Vimeo. Please note that changing or editing such a video
after submission will result in a broken link.
Total time for all real-time projects should not exceed 9 minutes. Depending on the nature of the project, we suggest documentation for any one project should not exceed 3 minutes in length (you may include clips rather than the entire piece).
- Along with the visual portfolio, you should upload your Statement of Interest and Resume (as described below), each as a separate PDF.
- Have questions or issues with SlideRoom? For technical assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For other questions, contact email@example.com.
- The University of Texas Electronic Identification code will be emailed to you two days following submission of your ApplyTexas application.
Current and Previous Degrees, Institutions and Date Received
- List current degree(s) you hold and/or will receive between now and the proposed semester for which you are applying for admission, where you received them, and in what year (i.e. BFA, Main Street University, 2009)
- Do not include institutions from which you did not receive a degree (i.e. summer schools, post-baccalaureate certificates, etc.)
List of Recommenders
- List the names and titles of your three recommenders that you submitted to ApplyTexas (i.e. John Doe, Associate Professor at Main Street University)
Statement of Interest
- Describe your goals in undertaking graduate study in Design. Your statement should explore your research question(s) in Design, as well as contextualize and reference work included in your visual portfolio.
- Include full mailing address, phone number(s), email address, awards, and work experience.
will open in a new browser window
Check the Status of Your Application
You can monitor the status of your application on the university's My Status website. It is solely your responsibility to confirm that all materials have been received and the application is complete. My Status will list items that have been submitted and those that are still required. You can review the status of your recommendation letters, send a prompt to your recommender, request additional recommenders and upload transcript and other documents on My Status. After a decision has been made, My Status will also show your admission status.
- You may upload pdf documents of your transcripts using My Status. Transcript uploads should show up in My Status instantaneously.
- Disregard the notice that your electronic ApplyTexas Statement is Needed. The faculty only use the SlideRoom version of your Statements. Do not mail a hardcopy of your statements to any university office.
- When it displays Received for SlideRoom, all SlideRoom materials were received: portfolio, two statements, and resume. There will be a three-to-five business day lag time between the date you submit your SlideRoom materials and when My Status displays Received for SlideRoom materials. Please do not contact the department to confirm receipt of materials.
will open in a new browser window