- Season & Tickets
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Current Students
- Summer Programs
ABT Summer Intensive at UT Austin: Frequently Asked Questions
Questions and answers regarding audition preparation, audition day, audition results, tuition and housing payments, housing, classes, performances, and 'what to bring' are below. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 232-7099.
- When and where are auditions held for the 2014 summer intensives?
- Is pre-registration required in order to attend the auditions?
- If a prospective student has a birthday before the start of the summer intensives, which audition class should he/she attend?
- What requirements are there for the audition picture?
- How much experience on pointe should a dancer have before attending an audition?
- Can I schedule an individual audition in New York?
- How will I know if my Pre-Registration Form, Audition Video, or Enrollment Form has been received?
- What are the auditions like?
- Is there a dress code for the auditions?
- What do you look for in the auditions?
- What if I can't make it to a scheduled audition?
- How soon will I find out the results of my audition?
- When will I receive the results from my video audition?
- How do you decide which program I will be accepted to?
- Do you give out audition results over the phone or via email?
- Can ABT provide specific feedback from the audition classes?
- When are waiting list applicants notified and what are the chances of a position becoming available to the summer intensive?
- I have submitted my tuition payment online. How long will it take to process my tuition payment?
- What is the cost of housing? When and where do I send my housing payment?
- Does ABT offer financial aid?
- When and where do I check-in?
- When do I check-out at the end of the Intensive?
- My child will be traveling alone. Do you provide transportation from the airport to the dorm?
- Will a parent/student orientation be provided?
- Do I have to attend the whole summer program or can I attend just a few weeks? Can I arrive a few days late? Can I leave early?
- What kind of housing is provided at the UT Austin Intensive?
- Where will I have my meals? What food options are available?
- When is the first meal/last meal provided?
- Are laundry facilities available?
- May I request a particular roommate?
- Is internet access available at the dormitory? May I bring a laptop computer to the Intensive?
- As a parent, I plan to visit the Intensive throughout the program. May I check out my child in the evenings or weekend?
- Are staff available in the dorm?
- What security measures are in-place at the dorm?
- Are parent housing accommodations provided?
- May students access the campus gymnasium or pool during the Intensive?
- What activities are scheduled for times outside of class and rehearsal?
- Is a medical facility available to students?
- How many students are enrolled in the program?
- What is the daily schedule like at an ABT Summer Intensive?
- How are students placed in classes?
- What is the typical class size?
- May parents attend a class or rehearsal?
- When and where are the final performances?
- How and when can I purchase tickets to the performance(s)?
- May I video the performance?
- I would like to schedule an early flight on August 5. May I check-out my child prior to the performance?
- How many pairs of pointe shoes should a dancer bring to the summer intensive?
- What is the dress code for class?
- How much money should I send with my child?
- I would prefer to not send a large amount of cash with my child. What do you recommend?
- May my child have a cell phone during the Intensive?
- Do I need to bring linens for the dormitory?
- How do I send items to my child during the Intensive?
When and where are auditions held for the 2015 summer intensives?
Auditions for the 2014 summer intensives will take place at the University of Texas at Austin on Saturday, January 10, 2014. Dates and locations for the 2014 summer intensives audition tour will be available online at: www.abt.org/education/nationalaudition.asp in the fall.
Is pre-registration required in order to attend the auditions?
Pre-registration is recommended but is not required. If you pre-register, then you will know in advance that you are guaranteed a spot at the registered time.
If a prospective student has a birthday before the start of the summer intensives, which audition class should he/she attend?
Students should audition with their age group at the time of audition even if they will have a birthday before the summer. Eleven year olds, who are applying for the Summer Intensive and who will be twelve by June 16th 2015, may audition with the twelve year old class.
What requirements are there for the audition picture?
At the audition you will be required to submit one non-returnable black and white or color photo ranging in size from 4 x 6 to 8 x 10 that shows the student's First Arabesque line clearly.
How much experience on pointe should a dancer have before attending an audition?
It is best for students to have two or three months of experience on pointe at the time of the audition. If the student is not ready to begin pointe work, she may still audition. However, students who attend an ABT Summer Intensive will be expected to participate in pointe classes everyday.
Can I schedule an individual audition in New York?
We cannot accommodate the scheduling of individual auditions in New York. If you cannot make it to a scheduled audition, please send a video audition. Please click here for further details on how to send a Video Audition.
How will I know if my Pre-Registration Form, Audition Video, or Enrollment Form has been received?
ABT will send you a confirmation email upon the receipt of your Pre-Registration Form, Audition Video, or Enrollment Form. Please make sure to clearly print a current/valid email address on any forms sent to our office.
Return to Top
What are the auditions like?
The audition will be a ballet class starting with barre and progressing through center work. The last 30 minutes will be reserved for men's jumps and pointe work.
Is there a dress code for the auditions?
Yes, there is a dress code. Girls should wear pink full-length tights and black leotards with ballet slippers. Boys should wear white t-shirts and black full-length tights with ballet slippers.
What do you look for in the auditions?
We evaluate dancers on the basis of the level of their classical ballet technique, with special attention to adagio, jumps, turns, and pointe work. We also assess the dancers on their retention of combinations, stamina, musicality, work ethic, attitude, and potential.
What if I can't make it to a scheduled audition?
You can upload a digital video audition to this website starting Monday, December 1, 2014. The deadline for Videos is January 31, 2015. Please upload the following: Recent headshot (informal or professional), Full body photo in first arabesque (on pointe).
Your video must be less than 10 minutes in length and include the following components:
• Begin your video by stating your name, age and date of birth.
• Barre work—plié, tendu, adagio, grand battement
• Center work—adagio, pirouette, petit allegro, grand allegro
• Pointe work—relevé, sous-sous, passé, échappé, pique turns (age 13 and up), pirouette (age 13 and up)
• Men include two turning combinations, tours en l’air, and petit allegro with beats
*Please only perform one side of each exercise
* Make sure that the entire dancer is visible throughout the video (no close-ups)
*Do not film into the mirror
How soon will I find out the results of my audition?
The results are emailed out within 10 business days following each audition. If you do not receive your results letter within two weeks of your audition date, please contact the summer intensive staff via email at email@example.com.
How do you decide which program I will be accepted to?
The audition qualifies dancers for consideration in all five Summer Intensive locations. We ask students to consider carefully which programs they are most likely to attend and rank them in order of preference on their registration card. We take this ranking into consideration along with which site we feel best matches each student's age and ability. This means we can't guarantee a student will be placed in the program that is their first choice or closest to their geographic location.
Can ABT provide specific feedback from the audition classes?
Unfortunately, ABT is unable to provide specific training feedback from the audition classes. We only have a short time to observe each dancer and cannot compile a complete assessment during the audition. Generally, students who are not accepted to one of ABT's programs should continue to work on overall strength, technique and pointe work. ABT encourages prospective students to continue working hard to achieve their goals in hopes to see them in the future.
When are waiting list applicants notified and what are the chances of a position becoming available to the summer intensive?
Generally, waiting list applicants are called starting the first week of March through the first week of June. We don't use a numerical system for our waiting list, therefore, it is very difficult to say what the chances are of a waiting list applicant being called and we cannot guarantee that a spot will become available. In the event that a spot becomes available in one of our programs, we will contact waitlisted students based on their audition scores.
Tuition and Housing Payments
I have submitted my tuition payment online. How long will it take to process my tuition payment?
In accordance with our rolling admissions, please allow our office 2–4 weeks to process a tuition payment after it has been sent. ABT will contact you if there is a problem with your payment, or if it has not been received
Is there a Day Student Option (students who are not living in the dorms)?
Yes, there is a Day Student Option. The Day Student Fee (only applies to students not living in the dorms) is $500 and is due on May 15 to The University of Texas at Austin.
What is the cost of housing? When and where do I send this payment?
Your housing payment of $2,000 is due on May 15 to The University of Texas at Austin. This housing payment includes the cost of the student's room, three meals a day, and covers activity fees. Information packets and invoices will be made available online to participants in April 2014. Payments may be submitted online or made by check or money order and mailed to:
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Theatre and Dance
ATTN: ABT Summer Intensive
1 University Station D3900
Austin, Texas 78712
Does ABT offer financial aid?
ABT does have a limited number of full and partial scholarships to the Summer Intensive. Scholarship decisions are made based on merit. All students are taken into consideration, so it is not necessary to apply. ABT will notify students who are awarded scholarships in their acceptance letter to the program. We also encourage our students to explore alternate funding possibilities for their summer training. Several students have had success in finding local or corporate sponsors.
Return to Top
When and where do I check-in?
Students may check-in at Jester Center on July 5, 2015 between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Jester Center is located at the corner of 21st Street and Speedway on The University of Texas at Austin campus. Jester Center's physical address is 201 E. 21st Street, Austin, TX 78705. To access Jester Center, turn north onto Brazos from MLK Jr. Blvd, go left at Jester Circle Drive, then right onto Speedway.
Online maps and directions to Jester Center:
Parking directly in front of the Jester Center is prohibited. Paid parking is available in the Brazos Parking Garage (BRG) located on Brazos, south of Jester Center. Parking hours and rates are available here.
When do I check-out at the end of the intensive?
All students must be checked out by 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 1, 2015.
Students may not check-out prior to Friday, July 31 at 4:30 p.m. We are unable to accommodate requests for check-out on Thursday, July 30 or on Friday, July 31 prior to the conclusion of both final performances. Students and parents should arrange travel in advance accordingly.
My child will be traveling alone. Do you provide transportation from the airport to the dorm?
Yes, UT Austin can arrange for transportation from/to the airport and dorm. An ABT staff member will meet your child at the airport baggage claim and travel with them to the dorm. There is a transportation fee applicable that is due prior to program arrival.
Will a parent/student orientation be provided?
An orientation meeting will be held on Sunday, July 5 at 4:00 p.m. at Jester Center Auditorium. This meeting is mandatory for all students. Parents are welcome to attend.
In order to receive the full benefit of the intensive summer training, everyone must attend the program in its entirety. As a policy, there are no exceptions to this rule.
What kind of housing is provided at the UT Austin Intensive?
Students live with a roommate and share a community bathroom in Jester West Residence Hall. Jester Center is a residential complex with mail service, food service, a campus store, and many other features to facilitate any basic shopping needs that might arise. All dorm rooms have a microwave and small refrigerator. The dormitory is air-conditioned and has multiple elevators allowing for easy moving-in and out access.
Where will I have my meals? What food options are available?
Students will have three meals each day at their assigned hours at Jester Center. The Jester Center dining rooms offers many different food stations (cafeteria style) to suit individual diet needs, including salad bars, fruit, yogurt, etc.
Is internet access available at the dormitory? May I bring a laptop computer to the Intensive?
For those wishing to bring a computer to the Intensive, students will be assigned an internet access code during registration. The University of Texas cannot be responsible for students' money or other personal items, therefore, we strongly encourage students to leave non-essential and valuable personal items at home. Computer labs are not available to Intensive participants.
As a parent, I plan to visit the Intensive throughout the program. May I check out my child in the evenings or weekend?
You are welcome to check out your child during non-class times. We ask that you arrange this 2 weeks in advance, and your child notify their mentor 2 weeks in advance so we can plan accordingly. For the safety of your child and for liability reasons, we will not allow any students to leave campus without your permission, other than for emergency or pre-approved doctor visits. A Permission to Leave Campus Form will be included in the housing information packet. You will also be allowed to add other adults to your students Permission to Leave Form by emailing the UT ABT office at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must do this during the week so that we may update our paper work in the dorms to eliminate any problems at the checkout table. Please complete the Permission to Leave Campus Form and return it with your housing payment by May 15.
Are staff available in the dorm?
A staff of mentors and supervisors live in-residence at Jester Center during the Intensive. Staff chaperone students to/from dorm and classes, attend classes and rehearsals and assist with evening and weekend activities. Our staff assist and accompany the students in each step of the program, making sure their needs and concerns are met.
What security measures are in-place at the dorm?
As mentioned above, there is a staff of mentors and supervisors living in-residence at Jester Center. In addition, the Jester West Front Desk is staffed 24 hours a day. All Intensive participants and staff are required to wear nametags for easy identification. Each residence hall requires a security code (provided to participants and staff upon check-in) for entry. In addition, each dorm room is keyed.
May students access the campus gymnasium or other recreational facilities during the Intensive?
No. The gym and recreation center are not available to non-UT students, faculty or staff. However, we have arranged for students to swim at UT's Gregory Gym Pool as an extra activity on one weekend.
What activities are scheduled for times outside of class and rehearsal?
Students enjoy a full schedule of weekend and evening social activities. All field trips are fully chaperoned by our staff of mentors and supervisors. The students may be split into smaller groups for optional participation on various weekend activities. A sample of tentative activities include: Dance Party/Sock Hop, Paramount Theatre/IMAX movie, Talent Show, Bowling, and Swimming. Schedule subject to change.
Is a medical facility available to students?
Yes. Students who require medical attention will be accompanied to the University Health Services by the residential coordinator, supervisor or mentor. All medical costs incurred for treatment will be the responsibility of the parents or guardian of the individual treated. University Health Services (UHS) is located in the Student Services Building at 100 W. Dean Keeton. The summer operating hours for the University Health Services are from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students needing medical attention beyond these hours and/or those with illnesses or injuries beyond the scope of care provided by University Health Services will be taken to St. David's Medical Center Emergency Room or Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.
What is the daily schedule like at an ABT Summer Intensive?
Though some lecture and elective offerings may vary by site, the daily structure and curriculum of all Summer Intensive programs is identical.
- Students will be in class or rehearsal from approximately 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Some programs include electives or lectures on Saturdays.
- On the first day of the program there will be a placement class to determine student levels.
- All levels will have technique and pointe/pas de deux everyday.
- Other class offerings may include: Variations, Modern, Character, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Musical Theater, Yoga, Pilates, Music, Acting, Dance History, Costumes, Pointe Shoes and Stage Production.
- Dancers will have rehearsals or choreography sessions approximately 2–3 evenings per week.
- All students will have the opportunity to participate in a final performance showcasing selections from ABT's repertoire and new choreography created during the program. The final performance is on the last day of the program and is usually scheduled for the afternoon.
May parents attend a class or rehearsal?
All classes and rehearsals are closed. Parents are not permitted to watch classes or rehearsals during the ABT Summer Intensive because it is distracting for the students. Parents and teachers are invited to attend the final performances at the end of the program.
When and where are the final performances?
The two final performances are on Friday, July 31 at 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. The performances will be held at the B. Iden Payne Theatre at the Winship Drama Building. The Winship Drama Building is located at the intersection of 23rd Street and San Jacinto on the UT campus. The Winship Drama Building's physical address is 300 East 23rd Street, Austin, TX 78705. For driving directions and online maps, please click here.
How and when can I purchase tickets to the performance(s)?
Tickets go on sale Monday July 20, 2015. Admission is $15.00 per performance for adults and $10.00 for children under 18. Tickets may be pre-ordered online at TXShop. If you choose this method of purchse, your tickets will be held at the B. Iden Payne Will Call and you can collect them on the day of the performance. You will also be bale to purchase tickets on the day of the performance by cash or check. The box office opens 90 minutes before the 11:00am performance, and 60 minutes before the 3:00pm performance. The University of Texas at Austin cannot accept credit cards. The B. Iden Payne Theatre is open seating.
May I video the performance?
Videotaping and flash photography of the final performance are strictly prohibited. However, for your convenience, the performances will be professionally recorded and available for purchase.
I would like to schedule an early flight on August 1. May I check-out my child prior to the performance?
Students may not check-out prior to Friday, August 1 at 4:30 p.m. We are unable to accommodate requests for check-out on Thursday, July 30 or on Friday, July 31 prior to the conclusion of both final performances. Students and parents should arrange travel in advance accordingly.
Students may check-out on Friday, July 31 following the performances or on Saturday, August 1. All students must be checked out by 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 1.
What do students need to bring?
How many pairs of pointe shoes should a dancer bring to the summer intensive?
The number of pointe shoes needed for the summer intensive depends on the strength of the dancer's feet, the brand of shoe, and humidity. Dancers will be on pointe everyday in very humid weather. Therefore, we suggest that each dancer brings approximately one pair of shoes per week. In addition, dancers may wish to bring an additional pair of shoes for final rehearsals and performances. Dancers are encouraged to take care of their shoes and use hardeners when necessary to lengthen the life of their pointe shoes.
How much money should I send with my child?
It is expected that your child will want to purchase snacks, supplies, or go shopping during the month. We recommend sending a limited amount of cash ($50 per week) to cover these needs if you would like.
I would prefer to not send a large amount of cash with my child. What do you recommend?
You may send an ATM/check card or pre-paid cash card with your child. There are several ATMs conveniently located in Jester Center. We do not have a check cashing service available to students.
Do I need to bring linens for the dormitory?
You must bring your own towels, washcloths, hand soaps, hangers, drinking glasses, and alarm clocks. The residence hall provides bed linens, blanket, and pillow; however, students may wish to bring additional blankets/pillows.
Participant's Name and Dormitory Room Number
c/o ABT Summer Intensive
Jester Center Halls
201 E. 21st Street
Austin, TX 78705