Getting Assistance from the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC)
The HRSC is the first point of contact for many HR-related questions. This information will help you understand how we provide service and how you can most efficiently obtain service. Our team includes five Customer Service Specialists, five Insurance & Retirement Specialists and three Records & Onboarding Specialists serving a population of over 30,000 current and retired employees and their insured family members. We also serve former and prospective employees.
Customer Service Specialists
These team members are your first point of contact in the HRSC. They are prepared to assist you with an array of human resource matters, including insurance enrollment and eligibility questions, COBRA applications, employment verifications and how to apply for staff employment. They refer customers to other HR Representatives when needed.
Insurance & Retirement Specialists
These team members have in-depth knowledge of the insurance and retirement programs and processes. Customers are referred to these specialists when additional support is needed.
Records & Onboarding Specialists
These team members generally support HR professionals and managers with their in-depth knowledge of employee onboarding processes including Form I-9, background checks and other compliance matters, and records matters such as timekeeping and assignment begin and end issues.
Due to increased customer activity and limited HR resources, responses for non-emergency issues may be 3-5 business days. See Emergency Situations if you believe you have an emergency.
Please provide your UT EID in all situations when you contact us.
Click the links below for information about our most commonly asked about topics. Or use Search HRS (in the top right hand corner of every page on the HR site) to find information on our website.
|For Employees||For HR Professionals and Managers|
If you don’t find the information you need on our website, our contact information is below.
Email us. Emails automatically go to our customer issue tracking system for response. You may receive a reply from a Customer Service Specialist or your issue may be assigned to an HR representative for a response.
Our phone number is 512-471-HRSC (4772). You will be given several automated menu options to direct your call. You may receive assistance over the phone or we may put your issue in our customer issue tracking system and assign it to the appropriate HR representative for response. If all lines are busy and you receive voicemail, please leave a detailed message or email.
Our office is located in NOA 2.200. We may be able to help you during your visit or may need to refer you to an HR representative for assistance at a later time. In some cases, you may be referred to a presentation, help session or information on our website. We encourage you to contact us about your issue prior to visiting. Parking is generally available in the Speedway Garage and you are responsible for any daily parking rates that apply.
Help is generally available during your visit for the following issues:
- Dropping off insurance or retirement paperwork (if you need a form or letter signed by an HR representative, we request 24-48 hours to complete your request)
- General questions about making changes to your insurance coverage
- Completing Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- Applicant testing for prospective employees and UTemps
Referrals are generally made for the following issues:
- Individuals with questions about retirement or going over retirement paperwork are generally referred to the Retiring from UT Austin presentation
- Individuals with questions about the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) or the UTSaver Voluntary Retirement Programs are generally referred to the Retirement Programs information on our website
- Individuals with questions about going on a leave of absence are generally referred to an HR representative
- UTemps temporary employment questions are generally referred to an HR representative
Contact information is available through the Find Your HR Representatives tool. The representatives generally respond to inquiries in the order received. We recommend that you e-mail an explanation of your issue. Please leave a detailed message if you call and receive voicemail. In some cases, your questions may be addressed quicker by contacting a Customer Service Specialist or 471-HRSC (4772).
You will need to contact these providers directly for the following issues. Follow the links for contact information. The end of the week, especially Friday, is generally the best time to call them for quicker service.
- Plan coverage and cost for services
- Claims questions
- Pre-determination or pre-authorization of benefits
- Plan providers
- Term Life and AD&D beneficiary information (or use Online Beneficiary Management)
- Selection of funds
- Account balance
- Beneficiary information
The HRSC treats the specific situations below as emergencies. Responses for these situations generally occur within a couple of hours.
|For Employees||For HR Professionals and Managers|
These methods of communication are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.