UT Flex: Flexible Spending Accounts
UT Flex flexible spending accounts allow you to pay for eligible medical and daycare expenses with pre-tax dollars. This means you don't pay federal income or Social Security taxes on the money you set aside into these accounts. Currently, you can place up to $5,000 in a flexible medical account and $5,000 in a flexible daycare account.
Beginning January 1, 2011, federal law requires a prescription in order to use your flexible spending account funds for the purchase of over-the-counter (OTC) medications (other than insulin). As a result, debit card purchases of OTC medications will no longer be authorized as of January 1, 2011. Learn more about this important change to your account.
Due to Health Care Reform, Plan Year 2012–2013 will be the last year to elect up to $5,000 for the Health Care Reimbursement Account. The federally mandated maximum limit for future years will be $2,500.
- UT Flex website
- Benefits Guide [PDF]
- Payflex Resource Center
- UT Flex Savings Calculator
- Eligible Expenses
- Frequently Asked Questions
Determining Out-of-Pocket Costs for the UT Flex Medical Account
Remember some of these common out-of-pocket costs associated with university insurance plans while figuring out your medical expenses. Other eligible and ineligible expenses are available on the PayFlex website.
UT Select PPO (BCBS) Network Medical Costs
- Physician office visits - $30 co-payment (family-care physician) or $35 co-payment (specialist)
- Emergency room - $150 co-payment
- Outpatient surgery - $100 co-payment, plus $350 deductible, plus 20% coinsurance
- Hospital - $100 per day co-payment ($500 maximum), plus $350 deductible, plus 20% coinsurance
- Out-of-pocket maximum - $2,500 for deductible and coinsurance per person OR $7,500 for deductible and coinsurance per family
UT Select (Medco) Prescription Drug Costs
- Annual Deductible - $100 per person
- Retail co-payments - $10 (generic), $35 (preferred) and $50 (non-preferred)
- Home delivery co-payments - $20 (generic), $87.50 (preferred) and $125 (non-preferred)
UT Delta Network Costs
- Annual Deductible - $25 (excludes oral exams, x-rays, cleanings, sealants, space maintainers and specialist consultations)
- Fillings, Extractions, Root Canals, Periodontics – 20%
- Crowns, Jackets, Cast Restorations, Bridges & Dentures – 50%
- Orthodontics – 50%, $1,250 lifetime benefit per person
- Maximum annual benefit payable by Delta - $1,250
DeltaCare USA Costs
- Oral Exams, X-rays, Cleanings - $0-5
- Sealants - $10 per tooth, through age 15
- Space Maintainers - $135-180
- Fillings - $10-385
- Extractions - $15-135
- Root Canals - $90-260
- Periodontics - $27-140
- Crown, Jackets & Restorations - $275 (lab fees may apply)
- Bridges & Dentures - $275-400 (lap fees may apply)
- Orthodontics – 25% discount off Network Dentist retail fees
Superior Vision Network Costs
- Eye exam - $35 co-payment
- Contact lens fitting - $35 co-payment
- Eyeglass frames - $140 benefit (standard lenses covered in full)
- Contact lenses - $125 benefit in lieu of eyeglasses
Your claims history may also assist you with determining your future out-of-pocket costs. Register at the websites below to review your claims history.
- BlueCross BlueShield, select "Blue Access for Members" to access UT Select PPO medical claims.
- Medco Health Solutions to access UT Select PPO prescription claims
|PayFlex Systems||1-866-887-3539||Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. CST|