Getting Started: New Employee Checklist
Welcome to The University of Texas at Austin! Here's an easy step by step checklist to assist you with completing all the required on-boarding items within your first month on the job which will ensure you are paid and receive employee benefits in a timely manner. Those items with an asterisk (*) next to them below can be completed at the New Employee Welcome and Orientation.
Graduate Student Academic Employees should use the New Student Employee Checklist
Note: All links on this page will open a new browser window. After you are finished with each step, simply close the new window to return to this page.
- New Employee Welcome and Orientation — If you're benefits eligible, we strongly recommend that you attend New Employee Welcome and Orientation on your first day of employment in order to complete many items on this checklist. Contact your departmental HR contact, manager, or supervisor to ensure that they complete the orientation pre-registration form and fax it to 512-232-3524 by noon on Wednesday before your scheduled orientation session.
- ID Card and EID* — You can get your ID at orientation if your departmental HR contact, hiring manager or supervisor completed the orientation pre-registration form and faxed it to 512-232-3524 by noon on Wednesday before your scheduled orientation session. Remember to bring proof of identity (government issued ID with your picture). Otherwise, you will need to go to the ID Center, located on the first floor of the FAC, to get your ID card and upgrade your UT Electronic Identification (EID). This step is very important. You'll need to upgrade your EID by showing proof of identity at the ID Center before you can access most online services for employees.
- Payroll Information — Complete My Paycheck Profile online. You will need an upgraded EID and information from your UT ID card to complete this online form. If you are unable to use the online Paycheck Profile, download the Payroll Employee Information Form and a Form W-4 from the Payroll Web site and turn them in to your department representative.
- Employment Eligibility Verification* — You must complete this electronic form no later than your first work day. You will be required to present original documents from the List of Acceptable Documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Please contact your hiring department if you have not been told where to bring your documents. If you receive an email with the subject line, Electronic I-9 Shuttle Request, please follow the instructions to complete the employee section of the form.
- Criminal Background Check Request – You should have received an email requesting electronic authorization to conduct a background check. If you have not received the email or completed the background check request, please contact your hiring department.
- Acknowledge the Ethics Statement* — Read and acknowledge the Standards of Conduct and Political Activities online (EID required).
- UT System Worker’s Compensation Insurance Health Care Network Notification – Read and acknowledge the Worker’s Compensation Network Acknowledgement Form online (EID required).
Health Insurance Marketplace Notice – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to provide this notice to all employees about the option to shop in the Marketplace (also known as the “exchange”) for private insurance that provides minimum essential health coverage. The ACA requires all employees be informed about the Marketplace. Human Resources will email or mail this notice to anyone with an assignment. Departments will provide this notice to unassigned employees. More information about ACA and UT Select is available on the OEB website.
- Selective Service Eligibility* — If you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25, complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification online. For more information, see the Selective Service Registration Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Driving Record - If you'll be driving a university vehicle, see the UTDRIVERS Web site for information on required drivers' training.
- Conflicts of Interest Policy* — Read both the policy and the statute of law concerning conflicts of interest within three business days.
- Outside Employment — If you are working for another employer, you must complete an outside employment form and gain proper approval.
- Employee Information* — Complete your employee biographical information and your veteran status information online.
- Insurance Coverage — Review the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist for details about how to complete your enrollment. You must make your insurance elections online during your Initial Benefits Enrollment period, which is the first 31 calendar days of employment. If you do not make elections and you are a full-time employee, you will default to the Basic Coverage only. If you are a part-time employee, you will forfeit insurance coverage altogether if elections are not made.
- Compliance Training — Begin your compliance training. This training must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. For alternate methods of taking the training, call the compliance training coordinator at 512-232-7842.
- Read and acknowledge the Compliance and Ethics Guide [PDF]. After reviewing all sections of the Guide, advance to the Acknowledgment Page where you will record your agreement to act in accordance with UT Austin’s requirements for ethical conduct.
- Supervisor Meeting — Talk with your supervisor about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period, and performance evaluation.
- Keys — Pick up your key(s) at the Locks and Keys office located in the Service Building. Remember to take the key request form given to you by your department and your ID card.
- Parking Permit — You can get your parking permit in person at the Parking and Transportation Services offices. Visit the Parking and Transportation Web site for information about parking on campus. If you don't plan to commute by car, check out alternative transportation options.
- Prior State Service — Read about prior state service transfer and print Request for Transfer of Prior State Service and Leave Balances [PDF].
- Timesheets — Go to your electronic timesheets and choose the appropriate reporting group in the timesheet system, if necessary. Ask your supervisor if you're unsure which group to choose.
- Nonresident Aliens — Please be sure you have completed your GLACIER record. You should have received your login instructions via the UT Secure Message System within two weeks of beginning employment. Send the forms generated from GLACIER and required immigration documents to Payroll Services.
- Insurance Coverage — Make sure you’ve reviewed the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist and made your elections online within the first 31 calendar days of your employment.
- Compliance Training — Make sure you've completed your compliance training.