New Employee Welcome and Orientation
The New Employee Welcome and Orientation, hosted by Human Resource Services (HRS), is a one-stop-shop that provides you with a comprehensive introduction to employment and benefits at The University of Texas at Austin. If you're a new permanent, benefits-eligible staff, faculty or graduate-student employee, we strongly encourage you to attend this orientation on your first day of employment in order to complete many items on the New Employee Checklist. New faculty members who begin employment in the fall semester may also attend the New Faculty Teaching/Orientation Seminar, which is hosted by the Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment each August.
New Employee Welcome and Orientation
This program provides an introduction to the university's culture, values, history, services, resources and benefits, including insurance and retirement programs in which eligible employees may enroll. At the New Employee Welcome and Orientation, you will have the opportunity to ask specific questions of HRS personnel and participating university associates regarding benefits and services available to you.
- “One Stop Shop” – After the formal presentations, you may receive your UT ID card, High Assurance, complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
- “Campus Walking Tour” – In partnership with the new Visitor Center, a guided 1 1/2 hour walking tour will be offered immediately following NEWO. Tour should be finished between 2–2:30 p.m.
- Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- BRING a sack lunch and/or snack and refreshment as lunch is not provided unless your department has paid for lunch through NEWO pre-registration. No cash lunch available.
- If parked at NOA, (Speedway or 27th Street Garage), you can take the Forty Acres (FA) bus route back.
- Pick up at Harry Ransom Center (HRC) and exit at Dean Keaton and University Avenue.
Sessions are held each Monday, except holidays, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Add 1 1/2 hours for “Campus Walking Tour,” which should conclude between 2–2:30 p.m. Announcements of any schedule changes will be sent to your departmental representatives. The insurance and retirement portion of the session is presented in Spanish once a month at 1:30 p.m. View schedule of next Spanish info session here (EID required).
Plan to arrive a few minutes before the session begins.
North Office A Building (NOA), room 4.106
101 E. 27th St, at the corner of 27th and Wichita, northeast of the Student Services Building.
We encourage you to walk or ride the shuttle/Capital Metro; however, parking is available for those attending the new employee orientation at the 27th Street Parking Garage (TSG) or the Speedway Garage (SWG). If your department has paid for parking validation, please bring your parking ticket to the orientation, where your ticket will be validated by the instructor.
Be sure to bring
- Identity and employment eligibility documents to complete the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification [PDF] (the list of acceptable documents is included in this document)
- Proof of relationship documents for your family members to be included in insurance coverage, including their names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth
- Beneficiary information including name, address, Social Security number, and date of birth
- Your position status, exempt or non-exempt
- Your department may have chosen to pay for your boxed lunch. Please check with them. If not, please bring a sack lunch and/or snack and refreshment as there are NO CASH transactions for food.
- Coffee, hot tea, and water provided at no charge
- Vending machines with sodas and snacks available