About Us | Contact Us | Search HR
Human Resources

State Service Credit and Leave Balances > New Employees > Current Employees > HR Home

Transfer of Prior State Service Credit and Leave Balances

You earn state service credit when you work for a State of Texas agency or a public institution of higher education in the state of Texas. Your state service affects your annual leave (vacation) accruals and eligibility for longevity pay. The university does not automatically receive information about your state service history, so it's very important to be sure your state service record is complete and correct.

Review your state service record online using the Employee Information System

All State of Texas service, including student, part-time and non-benefits-eligible employment, should be documented in your state service record.

Please note that employment at an independent school district or community college in Texas does not qualify as state service credit for annual leave and longevity purposes, even though this employment often qualifies as creditable service with Teacher Retirement System. 

If you are retired from a State of Texas agency, please notify Human Resources immediately by e-mail or phone 512-471-4772. Please include your retirement date, the state agency(s) you worked for, and the retirement system from which you retired (Teacher Retirement System, TRS; Employee Retirement System, ERS; Optional Retirement Program, ORP; or other).

How to Confirm Prior State Service

Contact each state agency that you worked for previously and ask them to transfer your prior state service information to The University of Texas at Austin. Send each agency a transfer of prior state service credit form [PDF] and have them return the completed form directly to Human Resources. If you have questions about what previous employment counts toward your state service credit, refer to the State of Texas Agencies list or the list of Public Universities in Texas.

Exceptions: If you have prior service at any of the following agencies, please contact Human Resources by e-mail or phone 512-471-5127. You will need to provide the names of all agencies you worked for, the approximate hire date, approximate termination date, and any previous names you may have used.

Transferring Retirement Benefits

State service credit determines vacation accrual rates and longevity pay, but it doesn't determine retirement benefits. If you have retirement benefits that you need to transfer, contact the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) at 512-542-6400, or 1-800-223-8778. If your retirement benefits are managed through the Optional Retirement Program (ORP), you should contact the retirement vendor that you selected to administer your account.

Note: TRS also calculates creditable service, sometimes called "service credit," to determine retirement-benefits eligibility. TRS creditable service is not calculated the same way as State of Texas service, so be careful not to confuse these TRS credits with your state service credits.

Understanding Service Credit

You earn different types of credit for your service when you work for The University of Texas at Austin and the State of Texas. You also earn service credit when you participate in the Teacher Retirement System or Optional Retirement Program. See the service comparison table below to understand how these different types of credit are calculated and learn about who is eligible for state service credit, service awards, and retirement service credit.

Service Comparison

Type of Service Who is Eligible What Service is Eligible Service Calculation Method Information Contact
State Service All employees, including faculty, staff and student employees regardless of the percent time appointed. Includes service with all Texas state agencies and institutions of higher education. Actual months and days appointed. HRSC Employee Records Services 512-471-5127
Service Awards Classified and administrative and professional (A&P) staff appointed at least 20 hours per week in an eligible position. Service with any University of Texas institution prior to 9-1-01 is included. Only University of Texas at Austin service is included if earned 9-1-01 or later. One month of service is given for each month or fraction of a month of an active appointment in an eligible title. Eligible service is computed through May 31, 2007. HRSC
Retirement Service Benefits eligible employees. Only service in a benefit eligible position for which a contribution to a retirement system was made. Contact the specific retirement system for details. Dependent upon participation in Teacher Retirement Program. Teacher Retirement System of Texas
Optional Retirement Program