About Us | Contact Us | Search HR
Human Resources

UTSaver TSA 403(b) > Retirement Programs > Current Employees > HR Home

UTSaver TSA 403(b)

The UTSaver Tax-sheltered Annuity Program is a 403(b) voluntary retirement program that allows you to save additional income for retirement through Traditional (pre-tax) or Roth (after-tax) contributions. The program does not include an employer contribution. Contributions are made through payroll deduction and may be invested in fixed or variable annuities or mutual funds with the approved providers.


All employees are eligible to participate.


You can get started for as little as $15 per month or contribute as much as 100% of your eligible compensation, not to exceed your maximum contribution limit per calendar year.

Year Regular Contribution Limit for Traditional and Roth Combined Age 50+ Catch-up* 15 Years of Service Catch-up**
2011 $16,500 $5,500 $3,000
2012 $17,000 $5,500 $3,000

*You must be 50 years old or older during the calendar year of your participation.

**You must have 15 years or more of service and your previous deferrals must average less than $5,000 per year. A $15,000 lifetime maximum applies to this catch-up.

You can participate in both UTSaver plans at the same time. The contribution limits for each UTSaver program are separate.

UTSaver Programs Comparison [PDF]

Traditional vs. Roth

Traditional (pre-tax) contributions will reduce your taxable income. As investments grow, the earnings are tax-deferred until funds are withdrawn. Roth (after-tax) contributions will allow you to make tax-free withdrawals, if qualified. They won't reduce your current taxable income.

UTSaver TSA Plan Guide: Does a Roth make sense for you? [PDF]
Traditional 403(b), Roth 403(b) and Roth IRA Comparison [PDF]


Making Changes

It's possible to increase, decrease or stop your contributions at any time. You may also redirect your contributions to another approved provider. Any of these changes can be accomplished online in UTRetirement Manager, or by submitting the Purchase/Change Agreement. If you would also like to transfer the existing funds to the new provider, you'll need to complete the Transfer Verification Form [PDF], which HRSC must also sign.

Contact your provider directly if you want to change how your funds are invested.