"Living Well, Moving Well" Physical Activity Challenge for UT Select Members
Register April 1 through May 7, 2014 for the “Living Well, Moving Well” UT System Physical Activity Challenge for UT Select Plan members. UT Select Plan members will receive a free pedometer just for registering! Log 50,000 steps or an equivalent amount of physical activity each week between May 1 and June 12, 2014 AND complete the health assessment to help UT Austin win the system-wide challenge and be entered into a drawing for an iPad mini.*
The UT institution with the greatest participation rate (percentage of total headcount) and completion rate (percentage completion of the challenge) will win the UT System Physical Activity Challenge “Living Well, Moving Well” Traveling Trophy.
Sign up now to help UT Austin win the trophy and for your chance to win an iPad mini! UT Select members who complete the challenge will be automatically entered into a drawing for an iPad mini.*
How do I register for the challenge?
UT Select Plan members: Sign-up here.
How do I get my free pedometer?
UT Select Plan members receive a free pedometer to track their physical activity just for signing up (while supplies last). For your free pedometer, bring a copy of your registration confirmation to the RecSports office at Gregory Gym Suite 2.200 or the HealthPoint Office at NOA Suite 3.302 between April 8 and May 7 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Quantities are limited and will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
What are the challenge completion criteria?
To complete the challenge you must:
- Complete 50,000 steps per week or an equivalent amount of physical activity. The Living Well Challenge Platform will convert your activity logged into the tracking tool from minutes into steps. Please note that “Custom Activities” that are not on the list provided will not count towards challenge completion.
- Complete the Living Well Health Assessment (The health assessment must be completed once between September 1, 2013 and June 11, 2014).
How do I log my steps?
Starting May 1, UT Select Plan members will log their physical activity on the Living Well Challenge Platform to have their steps count toward the competition.
What if I complete other forms of physical activity?
Challenge participants who complete other physical activities, such as swimming, cycling, etc. can log their minutes, which will then be converted into “steps.” The converted steps count toward the competition and giveaway prizes. Please note that custom activity (additional forms of activity that do not appear in tracking tool’s selection menu) will not count towards the competition or prize drawings.
Why is the challenge only open to UT Select Plan members?
The UT System Physical Activity Challenge is funded through the UT Select Plan and is therefore open to plan members only. There are a number of mobile apps that non-members can use to guide their fitness regimens and track progress, such as Argus and MyFitnessPal. All UT Austin employees are invited to participate in the activities below (i.e., 40 Acres Scavenger Hunt, Intro to Zumba, Challenge Walking Group, etc.).
To reward participants for their efforts, the HealthPoint Wellness Program will host a prize drawing each week for UT Select challenge participants who log 50,000 steps that week (or the equivalent minutes of activity). Prizes include fitness-related items, such as exercise balls, fitness watches, and yoga mats. Participants who complete the challenge by logging 50,000 steps each week from May 1 – June 12 AND complete the health assessment will even be eligible to win an iPad mini!*
Throughout the program, HealthPoint will also sponsor health and wellness-related activities to celebrate the Physical Activity Challenge.
- Scavenger Hunt: Kick off the UT System Physical Activity Challenge with a scavenger hunt that will take you on a tour across campus. The map is here! Stop at as many of the designated locations as you can on Thursday, May 1 between 10:00 am - 4:30 pm to collect one ticket per location. Write your name and EID on all of your tickets and drop them off at HealthPoint (NOA 3.302) by 4:00pm on Friday, May 2. Tickets will be entered into a drawing for prizes and will be drawn on Monday, May 5.
- Poker Walk: Get ready for the 2014 RecSports Poker Walk! Form a team or walk individually for this mile walk through campus. You’ll collect poker chips along the way, which can be exchanged for a poker hand. If you’re lucky, your poker hand may win amazing prizes. Registration is coming soon!
- Austin Fit Magazine Field Day: Let the games begin! Create a team with three other individuals to take part in this day of fun and fitness. Each team member competes in three of twelve possible events, including a medicine ball toss, vertical jump, pull-ups, and more. All are encouraged to participate, regardless of fitness level. The field day takes place on Sunday, June 1, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the Parade Field at Camp Mabry (the open area easily seen from MoPac). To register or to learn more about the event, please visit the Austin Fit Magazine Field Day homepage. Sign up for the Corporate Challenge to help UT Austin take home the FITTEST Company Award. UT Austin employees may use the discount code TENCARD to receive $10 off the entry fee.
- Zumba Dance Party: Want to try out a fun way to get in shape? Grab a friend and join us for an introduction to Zumba. This class will be taught by a RecSports instructor in Gregory Gym on May 13 from 12:15-12:45. Please register on TX Class PN 274.
Challenge Walking Group
Victory at Gregory Gym will be holding a weekly walking group to help UT staff and faculty reach their fitness goals. Led by Raul Garcia, fitness enthusiast and store manager of Victory, the group will meet each Thursday at 5:15 p.m. at Victory at Gregory Gym from May 1 through June 5, 2014. Come out, increase your physical fitness, get to know co-workers from across campus, and learn about getting in shape. Register on TX Class for PN273.
*Prize drawings open to UT Select employees only. The value of the prize will be included in the recipient’s taxable income.
Participation in HealthPoint work-life balance and wellness activities is completely voluntary. Parking fees are not included for HealthPoint activities. HealthPoint values and respects employees’ privacy. Personal health information, if collected during a wellness activity, is protected and kept confidential, where applicable, according to the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) regulations. Only aggregate, de-identified data is used for trending purposes.
If you have accessibility needs, please contact the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator, Linda Millstone, at least 5 days in advance of the event at 512-471-2437 or email@example.com.