Employee Discount Program Rules & Regulations
Employee Discount Policy Number 7.E.6 from The University of Texas at Austin Revised Handbook of Operating Procedures
A. Policy Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Austin to permit certain designated providers to offer their products and services to University of Texas at Austin employees at a discounted rate under the provisions of an Employee Discount Program (EDP). University of Texas at Austin will also permit University of Texas System Administration employees to utilize this program pursuant to policies developed by University of Texas System Administration. This policy is intended to be interpreted to comply with the University of Texas System Policy UTS141, "Guidelines for Employee Discount Programs."
This policy applies to all University of Texas at Austin employees.
Provider is defined as an eligible business entity that is in compliance with applicable University of Texas System Regents' Rules and Regulations, University policies, and state laws including certification requirements applicable to the provisions of a particular service or product.
Discount Rate is defined as a discount rate established by a provider that will give employees a meaningful (minimum of ten percent) point-of-sale discount off the retail price of selected goods and services during normal business hours upon the presentation of reasonable evidence of University employment by a valid employee indentification card or other reasonable evidence of University employment when purchasing a product or service.
D. Procedures for Participation as a Provider
- The EDP will be administered via the Internet.
- Application for participation as a provider will be made on the approved Request to Participate in Employee Discount Program (EDP Request Form). Interested providers must complete the EDP Request Form describing their products or services, the proposed discount rate, and all other requested information.
- Once completed, the EDP Request Form is reviewed by the EDP Coordinator to determine compliance with provisions of the EDP policy.
- If the applicant's request is denied, the provider will receive appropriate notification. All decisions of the EDP Coordinator are final. There are no appeal rights associated with the Employee Discount Program.
- If approved, the EDP Coordinator will authorize the provider's information to be displayed on the University's EDP Web site.
E. Participation Guidelines for Employees
The University of Texas at Austin Employee Discount Program Web site and all information concerning the EDP will contain a link to this policy and the following disclaimers:
- Employees of the University are encouraged to compare prices, services, and products before purchasing and/or signing any purchasing agreement with the provider.
- Employees must discuss directly with the provider any questions or concerns that they have with the provider's products or services.
- Participation by an individual or a business in University of Texas at Austin's Employee Discount Program (EDP) does not constitute an endorsement by the University of the individual or business or the products or services offered by the participating provider.
- Inclusion of a product or service in the EDP is not a guarantee by the University of the quality or performance of a product or service.
- The University is not responsible for any disputes arising between a participating provider and an employee as the result of an agreement or transaction entered into between such a provider and the employee.
- Services and products of the EDP do not constitute compensation to employees.
- Products and services of the EDP are available on the same basis to all employees of the institution.
- Specific products and services, as well as the Employee Discount Program (EDP) itself, are subject to discontinuation at any time.
F. Provider Eligibility and Responsibilities
Product and service providers owned or controlled by University officers and employees may not participate in the Employee Discount Program.
- Require the employee to present a valid employee identification card or other reasonable evidence of University employment when the employee purchases the product or service.
- Provide a valid physical mailing address and telephone number.
- Not offer discounts to products or services such as cigarettes or other tobacco products, gambling services or venues, sexual services or adult entertainment, alcohol, or firearms.
- Agree to keep its Web site information up to date if it uses a Web site to communicate information to employees regarding prices, products, services and dates discount is being offered.
- Immediately notify the EDP Coordinator in writing regarding any discount items that have been discontinued or withdrawn.
- Not solicit on campus or contact an employee in person, via email or by written materials during the employee's workday except as authorized by the EDP Coordinator in compliance with the Regents' Rules and Regulations and University of Texas at Austin policies concerning solicitation.
- Not disclaim knowledge of or responsibility for the authenticity or legality of their product or service.
- Comply with applicable Regents' Rules and Regulations, University of Texas at Austin policies, and state law including any licensing or certification requirements applicable to the provisions of a particular service.
- Will not use the University of Texas System or University of Texas at Austin logos or seals or otherwise imply that participation in the EDP is an endorsement of the provider's product by University of Texas System or University of Texas at Austin.
G. No Contract, Agent Relationship, Legal Duty, or Liability
A provider's participation in the EDP does not constitute or create a contract or an agent relationship between the provider and University of Texas System or University of Texas at Austin and participation as a discount service or product provider is separate and distinct from the provision of any services through a vendor contract with University of Texas System or University of Texas at Austin.
H. Cancellation of Products or Services
- The University may discontinue the EDP at any time or discontinue a provider's participation in the program or the provider's ability to offer a particular product or service without advance notice.
- Products and services offered through this program do not constitute compensation to eligible employees.
- The University may remove a provider from the program based on complaints from employees or for any other reason deemed to be in the best interest of the University and its employees.
For Assistance: Questions regarding the Employee Discount Program should be directed to Human Resource Services at 512-471-4772.