HR Forum — January 13, 2010
Also available as a downloadable PDF file: Presentation [PDF: 2,704 KB, 31 pages]
FML Military Caregiver Leave
- Caregiver leave – Provides up to 26 weeks of unpaid leave to an employee to care for a family member (spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin) who is injured while serving on active military duty.
- H.R. 2647 expands the caregiver leave provision to include veterans who are undergoing medical treatment, recuperation or therapy for serious injury or illness that occurred any time during the five years preceding the date of treatment.
FML Qualifying Exigency Leave
In January 2008, Congress amended the FMLA to provide:
- Exigency leave – up to 12 weeks of leave for urgent needs related to a reservist family member’s (spouse, son, daughter, or parent’s) call to active service.
- H.R. 2647 effective October 28, 2009, expands the exigency leave benefits to include family members of active duty service members. (Previously, only family members of National Guard and Reservists were eligible for “exigency leave.”)
Staffing Change in Employee and Management Services—Lisa Milne, Assistant Director, Employee & Management Services
- Sonji Winters has accepted a position in EOS.
- Lou Scaruffi has replaced her and taken all of her accounts except for Engineering, which is Karen Chawner’s account.
- Research will also be part of Lou’s portfolio.
- Lou’s contact number is 232-2159.
- Karen’s number is 232-2160.
TRS Employer Contributions
- Per Texas Attorney General: one-time supplemental payment to eligible TRS retirees is not permissible under Texas law
- As a result, SB 1 of the General Appropriations Act (GAA) will increase the state contribution rate to TRS from 6.4% to 6.644%
- Retiree surcharge total is 13.044%
- 1/22/10 is the first payday that will include the increased matching and retiree surcharge
- Retiree surcharge applies when a retiree is working in an otherwise benefits eligible position
- Surcharge is automatically assessed depending on the assignment, so no action necessary
ORP Employer Contributions
- Effective January 1, 2010, all ORP participants will receive 8.5% employer matching
- Currently, 8.5% is the maximum permitted by the state legislature
- The employee contribution rate remains unchanged at 6.65%
- E-mail was sent on 12/3/09 to those ORP participants impacted by the change
ARRA COBRA Subsidy Update
- The Defense Appropriations Act (HR 3326) was signed into law on 12/19/09
- Includes a 2-month extension of the subsidy to continue it for involuntary terminations through 2/28/10
- The 65% premium reduction is now available for up to 15 months, increased from 9 months
- For more information, visit: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/cobra.html
Retirewise, by MetLife
- Special education opportunity available to all employees
- Retirewise sessions consists of 4-weekly meetings that take a detailed look at what to expect and how to prepare for retirement
- Sessions will be offered in February, March, April, May, October and November
HRMS Salary Overpayments
- Occurs when an employee has assignments (likely concurrent) that equal more than 100% (+40 hours per week) for any period of time.
- Transferring to a new Position ID within or outside of incumbent’s currently assigned department.
- WARNINGS will appear on the page when this situation occurs.
- Does not prevent approval of documents, but the result may be an overpayment to your employee causing check cancelations or delays.
- Coordination between departments is required to prevent an overpayment.
- Reminder: Please keep current with employee assignment dates, especially for:
- Assignment End Dates
Payroll Services Update
- 2009 W-2s
- Available online through UT Direct: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/payroll/w2/w2.WBX
- If not claimed online before January 27, printed forms will be mailed before the end of the month.
- 2010 Nonresident Tax Withholding Changes
- New calculation method to offset the reductions of Making Work Pay Credit
- No Changes required via W-4 or other GLACIER forms
- Information available on the Payroll Services Web site: http://www.utexas.edu/payroll/
- “Workplace Rudeness and Incivility: For All Employees” presented by Rita Handrich, PhD
- Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 8:30 AM to Noon
North Office Building A, Training Room, NOA 4.106A
- Registration required
Contact: email@example.com or 471-3366
- Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 8:30 AM to Noon
- “Stress Management” and “Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL): Responding to Individuals in Crisis” trainings available for workgroups on-site by request, minimum 8 participants
HealthPoint—Occupational Health Program (OHP)—Adrienne Howarth-Moore, Director, NOA Room 3.214, 471-4OHP(4647)
- OHP began offering first-aid for minor work related injuries & illness on Jan. 1st
- Treatment provided that is eligible for workers’ compensation is billed to the WCI System
- Treatment not eligible for workers’ compensation but that is work related is covered under a RAP fund or is charged to departments via IDT, e.g. exposure incidents
- More serious injuries are referred to St. David’s Occupational Health Services with OHP providing case management and follow-up services
OHP Clinic Services
- Medical monitoring of research lab and lab animal workers including initial risk assessment and periodic updates
- Over 800 employees enrolled
- Job specific immunizations
- Respiratory clearance exams
- First aid treatment of minor work related injuries & illnesses
- Case management for complex workers’ compensation claims
- Health counseling for job related health concerns, e.g. ergonomics
OHP Consultation Services
- Provide review of new research protocols to ensure employee health needs have been addressed
- IACUC and IBC participation
- Consult on NIH required emergency surveillance programming
- BSL-3 lab workers
- Partner with EHS to review injury & illness trends to improve worker safety
Supervisory Leave Policy Overview, PN604: 01/19/10
Electronic Timesheets and DEFINE ETM, PN163 01/26/10
Managing People and Performance, PN603 01/28/10
Managing Compensation and Classification, PN603: 01/29/10
Hiring Talent for a Diverse Work Environment, PN606: 02/04/10
Retaining and Recognizing Employees, PN608: 02/08/10
Document Solutions 101, PN14: 02/09/10
HRMS – Basics, PN750: 02/09/10
- HRMS – Creating, Reclassifying & Recruiting, PN749 02/09/10
More classes from SCMS coming soon!
To enroll and more information
- Visit the CareerSmart Web site for upcoming programs.
- Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 10 a.m.