Hires and Separations in ETM
- HRS Appointments
- Find HRS Reps
You don't need to take a lot of actions in ETM when employees join or leave your department, but you may want to use the following information to help manage hires and separations in ETM and keep your unit's ETM screens organized.
When Employees Join Your Department
You don't need to add people to the ETM system when they join your department, because this happens automatically. A new employee or a university employee transferring to your department will automatically be added to your unit in the *DEFINE-ETM system as soon as the appointment is approved. The same is true when an employee transfers from your department to another department.
When Employees Leave Your Department
You don't need to delete people from the ETM system when they leave your department, because this happens automatically. Depending on whether employees transfer to another department or separate from the university, one of the following will happen:
- If employees transfer to another department, the system will transfer their ETM information/access to the new department unless you specify otherwise in ET1.
- If employees separate from the university completely, they will remain on the ETM system until 15 months have passed.
Removing Separated Employees from Your Unit Reports and ETM Screens
Since the *DEFINE-ETM system retains 15 months of information, an employee who is terminated will still be a member of your unit in the ETM system until on of the following happens:
- The employee gets an appointment in another university department and his/her time maintenance is transferred to the new unit
- 15 months pass since the date of the employee's separation from the university
To keep separated employees from showing up on your ETM screens and printouts, take the following steps to create a sub-group:
- Use the ETT command to create a sub-group (sub-groups used for terminated employees are commonly named "999")
- Use the ET1 command to transfer separated employees into the new sub-group
- You'll now be able to omit that sub-group in unit report printouts and keep them from showing up in ETM screens with the rest of your unit—these employees will still be available to you, but just won't show up with the rest of your employees