President's Exemplary Service Award
- President's Exemplary Service Award Policy [Handbook of Operating Procedures]
- President's Exemplary Service Award Nomination Form [PDF]
President's Exemplary Service Awards are one way managers can recognize and reward employees who demonstrate outstanding service or performance.
President's Exemplary Service Award Overview
UT Austin managers and supervisors may nominate eligible employees to receive up to 32 hours of administrative leave per fiscal year for specific services or activities that demonstrate exemplary service or performance. The awards must be made in eight-hour increments, except awards to part-time employees may be made in increments proportional to their appointments.
Classified, administrative and professional employees who have been employed by the university for at least 12 continuous months are eligible to be nominated for the award. The award is not available to faculty, teaching assistants, assistant instructors or students employed in positions that require student status as a condition of employment.
Nomination and Selection Process
Managers and supervisors may nominate any eligible employee from their units for a President's Exemplary Service Award, following this process:
- A manager/supervisor may nominate any eligible employee from his/her unit for a President's Exemplary Service Award using the President's Exemplary Service Award Nomination form [PDF], The nomination must include justification for the basis of the nomination and the number of hours recommended to be awarded (8 hour increments up to 32 hours). The exemplary service or activity cited may be subsequent to the employee's most recent performance evaluation.
- The manager/supervisor must submit the nomination on the President's Exemplary Service Award Nomination Form, along with the most recent performance evaluation which must be satisfactory or higher, and transmit the documents to the appropriate department/unit head.
- Department/unit head shall review all nominations received to 1) ensure the nominee is eligible to receive an award; and 2) make an independent determination that a nominee's documented specific service or activity reflects exemplary performance.
- Within ten (10) working days of receipt of the nomination, the department/unit head shall forward to the appropriate vice president, dean, or his/her designee for review and approval.
- Approval or denial of the nomination request will be forwarded to the department/unit head and then the manager/supervisor who initiated the nomination.
- If award hours are approved, the manager/supervisor shall notify the employee of the award. In addition, the manager/supervisor or the unit timekeeper shall credit the hours to the employee and the employee's usage of the hours on the employee's timesheet as President's Exemplary Service Award-Administrative Leave.
Use of Leave
The employee must use the administrative leave within 12 months and before using any annual leave. If the employee transfers to another university department, any unused administrative leave will also transfer. An employee will not be paid for unused administrative leave upon separating from the university.