As a manager, you'll review and approve your employees’ timesheets either online or on paper if your employees don't have electronic timesheets.
All non-academic employees, including hourly and monthly paid staff members, work/study employees, and post-doctoral fellows are required to complete a weekly time report. Weekly timesheets can be created and approved in the Time Report System.
Resources for Hourly Employee Time Reports
As of March 2014, all employees who are required to complete timesheets must use the web-based Time Report System. The following resources are available for employees, signers, supervisors, and timekeepers who are new to the electronic hourly timesheets.
- Employee Instructions for Hourly Timesheets (PDF)
- Signer/Supervisor Instructions for Hourly Timesheets (PDF)
- Hourly Time Report System Training for Timekeepers (archived presentation [mediasite]) [EID required] (handout PDF)
- Hourly Payroll System Training for OV1 Processors (archived presentation [mediasite]) [EID required] (handout PDF)
Before an Employee Can Complete Time Reports
- HRMS Position ID must be in a time reporting group on *DEFINE EG1.
- HRMS assignment must be final approved.
- Upgraded UT EID (a.k.a. High Assurance EID).
- Paycheck Profile must be complete.
- Wait overnight. Once the above items are in place, the employee can begin timesheets the following day.
How to Approve Time Reports
Take the following steps to approve timesheets online:
- Go to the Time Report System and login with your EID.
- Enter the employee’s EID in the “View Time Reports for” field to view the Time Report Home page for that employee.
- If you prefer to access the timesheets through your Electronic Inbox, click “Inbox" in the left side navigation bar.
- From your inbox, select timesheets to sign and then click the "Select Documents" button. (You could also click the "Select All Documents" button to approve them all, in which case you wouldn't need to mark the box next to the individual timesheets.)
- Once you've selected the time report to review, audit the information.
- Check if the Hours Appointed are correct. If the hours appointed are not correct a monthly paid employee will accrue compensatory time and overtime incorrectly.
- If the employee is using any leave time, verify that the employee has the balance to cover the time.Did the employee work more than 40 hours in the week?
- For a monthly employee, new leave balances will be posted in *DEFINE-ET3 once the timesheet receives final approval.
- If the employee is paid hourly, overtime must be paid manually using an OV5 payroll voucher.
- After auditing a time report, sign it by clicking on the "Approve" button, then click "Submit Request". If the time report needs to be corrected, explain the corrections needed in the notes section and click "Return to Employee" then click "Submit Request." Be sure to tell the employee that you have returned the timesheet for correction.
- If you don't want to approve the timesheet yet and don't want to return it, click the "Skip" button, then "Submit Request."
Correcting a Time Report after Final Approval
If mistakes are discovered on a timesheet that has already been final approved, corrections should be made to a paper printout of the timesheet by following these steps:
- Print out the electronic timesheet for the week in question from the Time Report System.
- Note in writing any corrections on the paper copy of the timesheet.
- The employee should sign the corrected copy of the timesheet.
- All signers on the timesheet group should sign the corrected copy of the timesheet.
- As necessary, the timesheet maintainer for the department should make manual adjustments to the employee’s balances using the ETA command in DEFINE.
- The paper version of the correction timesheet should be filed in the departmental employee file.
Maintaining Time Reporting Groups
If you’re taking on new employees, you or someone else in your office will need to ensure the employee is in a time reporting group in *DEFINE. Log in to a *DEFINE desk and view that can access EG1 for your department, and either create a new timesheet group or add the new employee to an existing timesheet group by taking the following steps.
Setting up new Time Reporting Group in *DEFINE-EG1
- Enter *DEFINE and go into command EG1.
- On the EG1 screen, type "ADD" in the action field and then press the “Enter” key. (Note: as you do this, make sure that the group function is TIM, and the group type is R.)
- Type up to a 15-character name in the group name field. (Remember: this is what the group will be referred to in future applications, so make it something logical.)
- Enter an optional description for this group in the group description field.
- Next, define the routing scheme for this group by entering the signers in the contact ID field and typing their role in the role field. Consider the following when designating signers:
- Identify signers by their UT EIDs.
- The role for a signer is simply where they are in the timesheet routing path. For example, a timesheet will route to the first signer (S1) first, and then to the second signer (S2). S1 is typically the supervisor, and S2 is the final department timesheet approver or timesheet maintainer.
- To give an individual view access to the timesheets, without making them a signer in the routing path, enter the person’s EID with C1, C2, etc. as the role.
- It is VERY important that the timesheet maintainer is a signer, preferably the final signer, for all groups he/she maintains. The online Time Report System does not have automated audits for every scenario.
Adding new employees to an existing time reporting group
It is not necessary to follow these steps every time a new employee is hired. Once the HRMS Position ID has been entered into a group, you do not need to make any change when an employee separates and another is hired into the position. However, if the Position ID has never been entered into a timesheet group, follow these steps.
- Enter *DEFINE and go into command EG1.
- Select the timesheet group within your unit to which you want to add the new employee.
- Add the employee's HRMS Position ID to that group, and then press the “Enter” key.
- If you're adding numerous group members and run out of lines, hold the cursor above the "More Members" icon and press the space bar and then press the “Enter” key.
- Note that you can add a Position ID to a group at any time, even when the position is vacant. However, the individual employee will not be able to complete timesheets until the salary and reporting unit codes appear on ET1.
Employees are required to complete timesheets electronically, with the exception of faculty, teaching assistants, graduate research assistants, and assistant instructors. If you have employees who may not be able to complete electronic timesheets, contact Human Resources to discuss possible solutions. With Human Resources approval, the following paper timesheets may be used
- Time Report Form for Monthly Employees—use this form for salaried employees who do not have access to or are unable to use the online timesheet
- Time Report Form for Hourly Employees—use this form for hourly employees, UTemps, and work-study students who do not have access to or are unable to use the online timesheet