This checklist is designed to help you through some of the important steps in planning for retirement. A printable PDF is also available. As you make the transition to retirement, we recommend that you do the following to avoid a gap in your benefits:
Attend TXClass PN400: Retiring from UT Austin
- This session provides an overview of retiree insurance enrollment, eligibility, premium billing and payment, Social Security, Medicare and coordination with UT insurance, returning to work after retirement, and getting started with TRS or ORP. The session is offered the second Wednesday every month with additional sessions offered at certain times of the year. Register online in TXCLASS (EID and password required).
UT Retiree Insurance Enrollment
- Your insurance will not automatically continue when you retire. You must complete and submit forms to the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) no later than 31 days after your retirement date. Submission prior to your retirement date is preferred. For eligibility and enrollment information, see Retiree Insurance Benefit Overview.
- Submit to the HRSC:
- Insurance Enrollment/Change for Retirees [PDF]
- Tobacco Use Declaration Form [PDF]
- Dependent Information [PDF] (only if adding a dependent not previously covered)
- Automatic Payment Request Authorization [PDF] (optional)
- Copy of TRS 30, Application for Service Retirement (TRS participants only)
- ORP Declaration of Retirement [PDF] (ORP participants only)
Group Term Life Conversion
- If you wish to convert coverage greater than $50,000 to an Individual Whole Life policy, please review the steps outlined in the Conversion Privileges section of the COBRA Web page. You must apply for conversion no later than 31 days after your retirement date.
Long Term Care
Contact CNA at 888-825-0353 no later than 31 days after your retirement date to request a direct billing to your home address.
- Before you retire, ensure your address and emergency contact information is current in the Employee Information System or submit a Personal Information Update form to the HRSC.
- Complete the secure online beneficiary designation form for your UT Group Term Life Benefits, by loggingin to My UT Benefits (EID and password required).
Turn Unused Annual Leave into Retirement Savings
- You may defer any portion (up to your maximum annual contribution limit) of your unused annual leave (vacation) and floating holiday to a UTSaver DCP 457(b). No federal income tax will be withheld from the amount deferred, only Medicare and Social Security taxes. To participate, submit a Purchase/Change Agreement form to the HRSC before your last day of employment.
- If you do not elect the deferral, you will be paid for your unused annual leave and floating holiday. If you are an ORP participant considering returning to work after retirement, you must have a one day break in service in order to receive the payment.
Medicare Enrollment (available at age 65 or younger if due to a disability)
Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at least 3 months before you need benefits to begin. Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B online or phone 800-772-1213.
If over age 65 when you apply, request forms CMS-40B and CMS-L564. Submit form CMS-L564 to the HRSC and allow 24-48 hours for completion.
Social Security Benefits (available at age 62 or older)
Contact the SSA about 3 months before the date you want your benefits to start. Apply online at SSA, visit visit any Social Security office or phone 800-772-1213.
TRS Retirement (For TRS Members Only)
- Contact TRS 6 months prior to retirement (preferred) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required forms. Call the TRS Telephone Counseling Center at 512-542-6400.
ORP Retirement (For ORP Participants Only)
Contact your ORP provider or financial advisor 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. Review the list of current Approved Providers for contact information.
Contact the HRSC just prior to your retirement date to request a Vesting/Termination Status Form be sent to your ORP provider(s) after your last paycheck is issued.
UTSaver Program (prior or current participants only)
- Participants of the UTSaver TSA 403(b) and UTSaver DCP 457(b) programs should contact their provider or financial advisor at least 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. Review the list of current Approved Providers for contact information.
- Cancel current UTSaver participation as of the first of the month following employment separation in the UTRetirement Manager system.