Supervisor's Checklist for Hiring a New Student Employee > Student Employee > HRS Home
Supervisor’s Checklist for Hiring a New Student Employee
1. What to Do as Soon as You Decide Whom to Hire
- Have an HR Contact for your department create a background check request in the online Background Check Administration (BCA) system and notify the student to authorize the check electronically. If you prefer to give the student a paper form, you will ask them to complete a Criminal Background Check Form and send that form to your HR Contact to enter into the BCA.
- After the student has accepted employment, inform the student that an electronic I-9 form must be completed no later than the first day of work and that the student must bring acceptable original identification and work-eligibility documents at that time. The student must meet with an HR Contact or Delegate in your department to complete the electronic I-9. See I-9 Resources for more information.
2. What to Do Before the Student Employee Begins Work
- Give your new employee a link to the New Student Employee Checklist.
- Assign the person to the position in Human Resource Management System (HRMS). Use “Assign Work-Study” for Federal Work-Study students. If another person in your department handles assignments, you'll use the online Staff Transaction Request (EID required) to request creation of the new assignment.
- If the employee will need mainframe access, create a *DPUSER logon
- Request authorizations for all applicable mainframe applications and Web systems
- Request that the *DEFINE office manager place the new employee on any necessary desks and views
- Create an employee file for the new hire. See Employee Files for more information. Refer to the Office of Accounting's Records Management Web site for information about records retention.
3. What to Do On or Before the Employee's First Day of Work
- The Employee Compliance Guide Acknowledgement Form should be printed, signed by the employee, and placed in the department file.
- Verify with the student that he/she has completed all items on the New Student Employee Checklist. An HR Contact in your department can check the student’s Personal Information Status online to verify that the items are complete.
- Meet with the student to review job duties and performance expectations. Provide any written guidelines, instructions, or manuals that may apply to the student’s position.
- Remind benefits-eligible graduate student employees to attend the Graduate Student Employee Insurance Orientation (EID required) in the fall or the general UT Austin New Employee Orientation at other times of year.
- International students who will have UT Select insurance benefits should apply for a waiver of the required UT Austin student health insurance. Information on application deadlines is available from International Student and Scholar Services.
- Remind nonresident students who have qualifying student academic assignments to complete a Request for Resident Tuition Entitlement.
- Remind student employees who are nonresident aliens to complete their GLACIER record.